Fruit ladder

Donna McCallum

Aug 27, 2013, 10:32:08 AM8/27/13
to growfoo...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone in the Amherst area have a fruit ladder we could borrow for a day to harvest our Seckel pears? We'd be happy to share some of the harvest.

Thanks for considering this.

Donna

Donna McCallum

Aug 27, 2013, 11:59:35 AM8/27/13
to growfoo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly. It turns our my neighbor has an apple picker that I'm going to try. I'll write back to individuals who offered ladders if I still need one after trying the picker.

What a great community we have here in Grow Food Amherst!

Gratefully,
Donna

Donna McCallum

Aug 27, 2013, 1:19:29 PM8/27/13
to cfred...@yahoo.com, growfoo...@googlegroups.com
We had the same experience last year. So we are going to harvest them now (even though they're quite firm still) with the hopes that they will ripen off the tree as other pears do.

Anyone else know about harvest time for seckels?

Best,
Donna

On Aug 27, 2013, at 12:12 PM, cfred...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi Donna, I don't have a fruit ladder but wondering what the best time is to harvest Seckel pears? We have a couple trees we found on our property which I thought were Seckel pears. We've been waiting to harvest them (because they're very hard pears) and then when we go to try and pick them they've disappeared. We thought raccoons maybe, but not sure.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

henry lappen

Aug 27, 2013, 1:45:21 PM8/27/13
to Donna McCallum, cfred...@yahoo.com, growfoo...@googlegroups.com
Raccoons and squirrels do steal a lot of fruit.  If they are taking all or most of the fruit, trapping is the only real solution.  You could also try putting flashing around the trunk to keep them off.

But pears need to be harvested early and ripened off the tree anyway.  Pears ripen from the inside out so by the time they appear ripe, they are usually rotten inside.  I'm not sure on harvesting dates of Seckel around here.  I pick all my Patten variety pears early (but usually starting in late September) and ripen them on the counter, or keep in the fridge or root cellar for slower ripening.  Before the tree died, I picked my Clapp's Favorites around now.

A good way to check when yours are ripe is to squeeze the top, stem end.  It should be just a bit soft.  You can also cut one open and see if the seeds are brown.  If so, the pears are ripe and more than ready to pick.  They should come off easily with by lifting up the fruit away from the branch.

Good luck and write back if you have other questions.

Henry the Juggler
A Passion for Birds

Donna McCallum

Aug 27, 2013, 2:30:50 PM8/27/13
to henry lappen, cfred...@yahoo.com, growfoo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Henry!

Gabor Lukacs

Aug 27, 2013, 2:39:12 PM8/27/13
to henry lappen, Donna McCallum, cfred...@yahoo.com, growfoo...@googlegroups.com
They go brown and soft from the inside but that is different than rot. More like how pears ripen: if you taste the inside of the pear once it is brown you probably will agree with me that it is juicy and delicious, even more so than the white part of the fruit.

Gabor

henry lappen

Aug 27, 2013, 2:43:21 PM8/27/13
to Gabor Lukacs, henry lappen, Donna McCallum, cfred...@yahoo.com, growfoo...@googlegroups.com
I have tasted it, but prefer them white or just a little brown on the inside.

Henry the Juggler
A Passion for Birds

Tricia

Aug 27, 2013, 2:51:53 PM8/27/13
to growfoo...@googlegroups.com, growfoo...@googlegroups.com
Take me off the list.  The unsubscribe isn't working

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Donna McCallum <donna.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
We had the same experience last year.  So we are going to harvest them now (even though they're quite firm still) with the hopes that they will ripen off the tree as other pears do.

Anyone else know about harvest time for seckels?

Best,
Donna

On Aug 27, 2013, at 12:12 PM, cfred...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi Donna, I don't have a fruit ladder but wondering what the best time is to harvest Seckel pears?  We have a couple trees we found on our property which I thought were Seckel pears. We've been waiting to harvest them (because they're very hard pears) and then when we go to try and pick them they've disappeared.  We thought raccoons maybe, but not sure.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 27, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Donna McCallum <donna.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone in the Amherst area have a fruit ladder we could borrow for a day to harvest our Seckel pears?  We'd be happy to share some of the harvest.
>>
>> Thanks for considering this.
>>
>> Donna

Jordao, Emilie Marques

Aug 27, 2013, 2:59:21 PM8/27/13