Can't connect to MySQL server on 'ensembldb.ensembl.org' with php script

Fred

Nov 27, 2009, 5:25:42 AM11/27/09
to Group-4-Bioinformatics
Dear all,

I was trying to get connected to Ensembl host with the php script
below on my linux station in order to be able to query any MySQL
database of interest hosted at Ensembl.

<?php
$link = mysql_connect('ensembldb.ensembl.org:3306', 'anonymous', '');
if (!$link) {
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}
echo 'Connected successfully';
mysql_close($link);
?>

I got the parameters at the following webpages :
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/registry.html

But I got the following error message.
Could not connect: Can't connect to MySQL server on
'ensembldb.ensembl.org' (4)

So I was wondering if some fofyou could test this script in order to
know if it does not work with me because I am may be not able to do
external query for security reason.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred

Andres Pinzon

Nov 27, 2009, 7:26:00 AM11/27/09
to group4bioi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,
"Connected succesfully" (using your script of course).

So it seems you are not able to connect.

Best,
> --
> Related website :  www.bioinformatics.fr

Andrés Pinzón

Fred

Nov 27, 2009, 8:27:29 AM11/27/09
to Group-4-Bioinformatics
Hi Andres,

Thanks a lot for the quick response.
By the way did you get the Google wave invitation ?

Cheers,

Fred
> Andrés Pinzón- Hide quoted text -

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio

Nov 27, 2009, 5:27:36 AM11/27/09
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Fred <frederi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I was trying to get connected to Ensembl host with the php script
below on my linux station in order to be able to query any MySQL
database of interest hosted at Ensembl

Try with port 5306 instead of 3306...

[...]

Giovanni Dall'Olio, phd student
Department of Biologia Evolutiva at CEXS-UPF (Barcelona, Spain)

My blog on bioinformatics: http://bioinfoblog.it

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio

Nov 27, 2009, 5:44:31 AM11/27/09
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio <dallo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Fred <frederi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I was trying to get connected to Ensembl host with the php script
below on my linux station in order to be able to query any MySQL
database of interest hosted at Ensembl

Try with port 5306 instead of 3306...

Sorry, the documentation at ensembl is often outdated: at a certain point they changed the port from 5306 to 3306 without saying it in the documentation, but now it seems to be 3306 again.

If I do:
mysql -u anonymous -h ensembldb.ensembl.org -P 3306
from my computer, I am able to connect to ensembl; and I have tried your script from a computer with php installed and it can connect ('Connected successfully'). so there it should be some problem with your connection, I am sorry I can't help more than this.