[Bug Report] Console Input

YongKi Kim

Nov 23, 2012, 8:01:43 PM11/23/12
to groov...@googlegroups.com
Hello! nobeans,

First of all I'd like to thank you very much for your groovyserver.
I'm really impressed what you've done for groovy startup speed. It's literally innovative.

However one big problem makes me hesitate to use your great work.
It's the console-input problem.

I wonder whether you were reported or not, but I urge you try this source with groovyclient:

System.in.withReader {
print "Where to go? "
input = it.readLine()
println input
}

Once you run the script, you will soon indicate that the waiting prompt for the input stream won't stop. It keeps blinks and wait until you try to exit program with 'Ctrl+C'

I think I woud be possible to fix the problem by myself because you kindly shared the sources to public. But I think it would be better to ask you about the issue in advance.`
Thank you again and hope to receive any reply for this thing.

Regards.

Yasuharu Nakano

Nov 23, 2012, 8:58:58 PM11/23/12
to groov...@googlegroups.com
Hi YongKi,

Thank you for using GroovyServ. And I'm very glad to hear your praise.

I've tried to execute your code on my mac, Groovy, but it's done normally.
Can I have your environments, for example OS, Java version, Groovy
version and GroovyServ version?

a way to confirm version for Java:
$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_09"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.5-b02, mixed mode)

a way to confirm version for Groovy and GroovyServ:
$ groovyclient -version
Groovy Version: 2.0.5 JVM: 1.7.0_09 Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS: Mac OS X
GroovyServ Version: Server: 0.10
GroovyServ Version: Client: 0.10 (.c)

These are the results on my environment. Please show me your results
(and OS information).

Excuse me, but my next response will be late and might be next weekday.

Regards,
--
Yasuharu NAKANO / nobeans
Message has been deleted

YongKi Kim

Nov 24, 2012, 12:45:05 AM11/24/12
to groov...@googlegroups.com
Dear. nobean
Hi. Happy to see your kind reply so quickly :-)
Let me show you some information for my development box:
And it's no problem for any delay for this mail since I will going to leave my office soon and take a rest with my family too.
Thank you again and have a great weekend!
(the command 'groovy' was aliased as your instruction manual suggest, so I used the prefix '\' to execute real script)
smdev@bwdev:~/test$ uname -a
Linux bwdev 3.2.0-32-generic-pae #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:54:23 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

smdev@bwdev:~/test$ java -version

java version "1.7.0_09"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 23.5-b02, mixed mode)
smdev@bwdev:~/test$ \groovy -v
Groovy Version: 2.0.5 JVM: 1.7.0_09 Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS: Linux

smdev@bwdev:~/test$ groovyclient -v
Groovy Version: 2.0.5 JVM: 1.7.0_09 Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS: Linux

Yasuharu Nakano

Nov 26, 2012, 4:22:58 AM11/26/12
to groov...@googlegroups.com
Hi YongKi,

I've reproduced the problem and fixed it. It caused by the difference
of the behavior of 'recv' function between mac and linux.
The fixed code has already pushed to github. Would you try it if you
can build the groovyserv?

https://github.com/kobo/groovyserv/commit/403b0cb74966ff3c7e89974e8cd8ba5929b98ce1
http://kobo.github.com/groovyserv/howtobuild.html

It's just the problem of C client. So the shortest way is to build a
'groovyclient' (C client) by 'make' command and execute
build/natives/groovyclient instead of the default-installed
groovyclient.

Regards,

YongKi Kim

Nov 26, 2012, 11:49:02 PM11/26/12
to groov...@googlegroups.com
It works wonderfully!!

I really appreciate for your help.
Moreover, I was not familiar with gradle script, but I got to know the power of gradle while trying to build your project. :-0)

Thank you again, and I hope that I could contribute such greate works for Groovy community just like yours.

Regards.

2012년 11월 26일 월요일 오후 6시 23분 40초 UTC+9, nobeans 님의 말:

Yasuharu Nakano

Nov 27, 2012, 12:05:01 AM11/27/12
to groov...@googlegroups.com
I think that this your report is the one of the great contribution.
Thank you very much.
The next version including this fix will be released in a few month. Maybe ;-)

Cheers,