Just started using groovyserv for raspberry pi

bill....@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2016, 10:09:44 PM4/30/16
to GroovyServ
It's amazingly helpful on the PI!

Starting a Groovy "Hello, World" on the PI takes like 15 seconds which can be pretty darn irritating, with groovyserv it runs almost instantly.

I had a couple requests though that are quite important for this environment.

1) The timeout is just a few seconds less than the PI takes to spin up Groovy.  It would be nice if the value could be increased a touch or made into a parameter.
2) A build for the ARM would be quite helpful.  I was able to do it but building GO (Which also doesn't have a PI build) takes the better part of an hour.
3) It would be generally nice to have a way to detect if the server was running.  I'm going to try to come up with a way to see if that port is open myself, but a command switch to test it and return a true/false to the CLI would be nice (I could implement #1 myself if I had this).
4) Is there a way to launch Java apps in this jvm too?  Can I pass in the name of a JAR or class file instead of a groovy script?  This is mostly because of the limited memory on the PI

At any rate, thanks.  You've changed groovy from completely unusable to a pretty nice scripting language for that environment.

nobeans

May 1, 2016, 12:36:26 PM5/1/16
to groov...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

Thank you for your feedback and nice comment. I'm glad to hear you.

> 1) The timeout is just a few seconds less than the PI takes to spin up Groovy.  It would be nice if the value could be increased a touch or made into a parameter.

Certainly, the second to wait for timeout depends on an environment. So it seems good to be able to specify the value by user. Could you create a new ticket at GitHub?

> 2) A build for the ARM would be quite helpful.  I was able to do it but building GO (Which also doesn't have a PI build) takes the better part of an hour.

I can understand you. If there are enough votes, I could add a binary for the ARM. Please create new issue.

> 3) It would be generally nice to have a way to detect if the server was running.  I'm going to try to come up with a way to see if that port is open myself, but a command switch to test it and return a true/false to the CLI would be nice (I could implement #1 myself if I had this).

It existed as an internal way (--without-invoking-server) once before a client/server commands are re-implemented by Go. But since v1.0 it's gone. If you want it (though the parameter name would is changed), please create new issue.

> 4) Is there a way to launch Java apps in this jvm too?  Can I pass in the name of a JAR or class file instead of a groovy script?  This is mostly because of the limited memory on the PI

You can specify an entrypoint, named a "main" method.

This article is describing how to run Jython/Clojure on a server process of GroovyServ.

But I couldn't recomment it because GroovyServ has some restriction. So it couldn't work perfectly like as general JVM.

Regards,
Yasuharu

Yasuharu Nakano