Can you build something similar for Scala?

Wei Liu

Apr 23, 2015, 4:43:43 AM4/23/15
to groov...@googlegroups.com
It'll really help we develoeprs!

nobeans

Apr 24, 2015, 2:22:24 AM4/24/15
to groov...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wei,

You can use GroovyServ with other JVM languages like this: http://kobo.github.io/groovyserv/faq.html#is-groovyserv-dedicated-for-groovy
So, if you want to use GroovyServ for Scala to run as a script, I think it's possible. Please try to specify the Scala's main entry point as the above Clojure's example.

However, if you expects something to improve a compilation time of Scala by the similar approach as GroovyServ, it may be difficult.

GroovyServ shortens a start-up time of "JVM". But I think the slowness of a compilation of Scala would be caused not by starting up a JVM process but by just the compilation sequence itself. If so, GroovyServ won't be able to address the problem.

Though, there is an interesting article to apply GroovyServ to Scala for improving the compilation time: http://uehaj.hatenablog.com/entry/20100807/1281164994
Unfortunately, it's written by Japanese and a little old (2010). You would understand the keywords and commands even though you couldn't understand Japanese ;-)

I don't know the latest Scala's condition about compilation or something because I'm not Scala user. But the article might be worth for you still.

Regards,
Yasuharu Nakano