How to make the Groovy-Eclipse plugin works with groovypp?

wangzx

Aug 24, 2010, 8:40:33 PM8/24/10
to Groovy++
I am using the Groovy-Eclipse 2.0.2, and tring:

# Create a groovy project
# replace the groovy-1.7.3-all.jar with groovypp-all-0.2.19.jar
# create a "Hello" class and annotate it @Typed

and the eclipse report:
Internal compiler error: java.lang.AbstractMethodError at
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitConstructorOrMethod(AsmClassGenerator.java:
557)

Can someone tell me how to make the greclipse works with groovypp?

Roshan Dawrani

Aug 25, 2010, 10:46:35 PM8/25/10
to eclipse-p...@groovy.codehaus.org, groovyp...@googlegroups.com
I am including Groovy-Eclipse mailing list in the loop here so they can share their inputs on it.

Is Groovy++ supported by groovy-eclipse plugin? If not yet verified, would it be possible for the Groovy-Eclipse team to give it a go?

@wangzx, since Groovy-Eclipse 2.0.2 is using groovy 1.7.3 and groovypp-all-0.2.19 is based on groovy 1.7.5, one thing to try could be to try a groovy-eclipse snapshot that is in sync with 1.7.5.

Regards,
Roshan

Roshan Dawrani

Aug 26, 2010, 12:23:23 AM8/26/10
to eclipse-p...@groovy.codehaus.org, groovyp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Andy, for your confirmation and further inputs.

Is it ok if I enter a JIRA for G++ support in GRECLIPSE, so that it remains on radar and people have a place to express their interest in having this support?

rgds,
Roshan

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Andy Clement <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Roshan,

On 25 August 2010 19:46, Roshan Dawrani <roshan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am including Groovy-Eclipse mailing list in the loop here so they can
> share their inputs on it.
>
> Is Groovy++ supported by groovy-eclipse plugin?

No, it isn't.

> If not yet verified, would it be possible for the Groovy-Eclipse team to give it a go?

We run a patched copy of groovyc, we would need to either confirm the
groovyc++ changes are not in the same files as our patches and slap in
a groovy++ build, or repatch a groovyc++.  I'm afraid there isn't much
room in the schedule to do this.

> @wangzx, since Groovy-Eclipse 2.0.2 is using groovy 1.7.3 and
> groovypp-all-0.2.19 is based on groovy 1.7.5, one thing to try could be to
> try a groovy-eclipse snapshot that is in sync with 1.7.5.

This is a common misconception.  Eclipse projects are not compiled
using the compiler inside the project dependencies, they build using
the compiler embedded in the org.codehaus.groovy plugins in the host
eclipse.  The project dependency is just that, for satisfying project
dependencies (like rt.jar is there to satisfy java dependencies), not
for configuring the compiler to use.  It is analogous to the java
situation - a java project isn't built using a compiler you put in the
project dependencies, it is built using the one built into eclipse.

If there were significant interest in doing this, we might bump the
priority, but so far this is the first request.

Andy

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:10 AM, wangzx <wangza...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am using the Groovy-Eclipse 2.0.2, and tring:
>>
>> # Create a groovy project
>> # replace the groovy-1.7.3-all.jar with groovypp-all-0.2.19.jar
>> # create a "Hello" class and annotate it @Typed
>>
>> and the eclipse report:
>> Internal compiler error: java.lang.AbstractMethodError at
>>
>> org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitConstructorOrMethod(AsmClassGenerator.java:
>> 557)
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to make the greclipse works with groovypp?

Roshan Dawrani

Aug 26, 2010, 12:50:20 AM8/26/10
to eclipse-p...@groovy.codehaus.org, groovyp...@googlegroups.com
I have created http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-826.

Please express your interest against this JIRA, if you would like to have Groovy++ support in Groovy-Eclipse plugin.

Thanks,
Roshan

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Andy Clement <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
Yep, feel free to raise a jira.

cheers
Andy

Alex Tkachman

Aug 27, 2010, 2:29:28 AM8/27/10
to eclipse-p...@groovy.codehaus.org, groovyp...@googlegroups.com
Could you please advice how does eclipse plugin handle compilation of
ast transformations in general? Groovy++ does not patch Groovy at all
(we provided many fixes for 1.7.x & 1.8.x but these fixes aree not
Groovy++ specific). All G++ compilation is built as set of ast
transformations registered via standard Groovy techniques, so I was
under impression that it should work with any groovy compiler