Problem with Grails Domain Object

Brady Hegberg

May 15, 2015, 12:14:00 PM5/15/15
to groo...@googlegroups.com
I created a domain object in a project that already had a number of domain objects (created by someone else months ago)...my object is in the same package as the others but when I call it I get:

Message
Method on class [com.fl.dataalert.services.GwtMessage] was used outside of a Grails application. If running in the context of a test using the mocking API or bootstrap Grails correctly.

I've tried a number of things to get it working but to no avail.  Has anyone seen this?  Any ideas to try?

Thanks,
Brady

My class...though I can't even tell if the problem is here...

class GwtMessage {

int gwtAccountConfigId
int gwtAccountSiteId
String messageSubject
Date messageDate
boolean isMessageRead
Date insertDate
static mapping = {
datasource 'dataSource_datawarehouse'
//table mappings
table name:'GWT_MESSAGE', schema:"SITE_CONTENT"
id column:'GWT_MESSAGE_ID', generator:'sequence', params:[sequence:'SITE_CONTENT.SEQ_GWT_MESSAGE']
gwtAccountConfigId column: 'GWT_ACCOUNT_CONFIG_ID'
gwtAccountSiteId column: 'GWT_ACCOUNT_SITE_ID'
messageSubject column: 'MESSAGE_SUBJECT', sqlType: 'varchar2(1024 byte)'
messageDate column: 'MESSAGE_DT'
isMessageRead column: 'IS_MESSAGE_READ_FLG', type: 'yes_no'
insertDate column: 'INSERT_DT'
version false
}
    static constraints = {
    }
}

Colin Harrington

May 15, 2015, 12:27:59 PM5/15/15
to groo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brady,

Can you share how you are using the Domain class?

I've seen this type of error if I try to use the domain class statically, in scripts or before the whole application has time to load the domain class plugin.

Also, what version of Grails?

Colin Harrington
colin.ha...@gmail.com

Ted Naleid

May 15, 2015, 12:36:56 PM5/15/15
to groo...@googlegroups.com
I'm a little unclear if this is failing in a test or only working in a test.

I believe that I've seen this error before in unit tests when I forget to add my domain class to a @Mock annotation.

See the unit test docs for specific examples of how to @Mock: http://grails.github.io/grails-doc/2.5.0/guide/testing.html#unitTestingDomains

Brady Hegberg

May 15, 2015, 1:56:21 PM5/15/15
to groo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry...some context:

I have a controller that fires when a service is hit.  I'm creating a WAR from this project and deploying it to Tomcat 6.0.37.

Controller:

class GwtMessageController {
  static allowedMethods = [index: 'GET', show: 'GET']
    def gwtMessageService
    def index() {
  def gwtMessages = gwtMessageService.findUnhandledGwtMessages()
        render gwtMessages
    }
}

Service:

@Transactional
class GwtMessageService {
    def grailsApplication
    def dataSourceUtilService
    def findUnhandledGwtMessages() {
def results = GwtMessage.getAll()
    }
}

I also tried GwtMessage.list()

Grails is version 2.4.4

The app is starting and creating a database pool.  The other Services call domain objects the same way (AFAIK) and they return results.  I'm hitting the service well after the app finishes loading.

-Brady

Brady Hegberg

May 15, 2015, 1:57:52 PM5/15/15
to groo...@googlegroups.com

Haven't tried it from a test yet.  Maybe I'll give that a try.  (I should be doing it already TDD-wise :-/ )

-Brady