Groovy plugin for Eclipse

George Seese

Sep 8, 2014, 10:20:50 AM9/8/14
to groo...@googlegroups.com
Does this plugin support groovyfx?

I have Eclipse Kepler on Windows 7.

I can start a groovy project and classes, but this does not work:
import groovyx.javafx.GroovyFX

At the Eclipse forum, they say I need to get answers from the provider.

thanks

erickinsella

Sep 13, 2014, 3:40:30 PM9/13/14
to groo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I haven't used Eclipse (or the Groovy plugin) in quite some time. Have you tried using Groovy/Grails STS version of Eclipse?

"The Groovy/Grails Tool Suite is a complete Eclipse-based development environment optimized for developing, debugging and executing Groovy and Grails applications."

- Eric

George Seese

Sep 13, 2014, 8:26:54 PM9/13/14
to groo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric,
I've decided to postpone work with groovy and groovyfx.
There are too many problems and lack of support.
I use Eclipse IDE; have made javaFX applications OK.  .

I have Windows 7; don't see merits of Command mode..

I'm not a professional coder; just wanted to learn groovy and groovyfx.
Purchased "Groovy in Action Second Edition" book - big disappointment.

Colin Harrington

Sep 13, 2014, 8:56:28 PM9/13/14
to groo...@googlegroups.com
George

The groovyfx's github page says that Eclipse does support groovyfx:
As at 2014-05-07, GrEclipse appears not to support Groovy 2.3.0, so building with Eclipse has not been tried.

Intellij IDEA seems to be the best IDE for the job.

Groovy is definitely worth the investment.

~ Colin Harrington

Colin Harrington
colin.ha...@gmail.com

Will Buck

Sep 16, 2014, 2:02:11 PM9/16/14
to groo...@googlegroups.com
I'll pile on to echo that:

1) IntelliJ IDE is a fantastic development tool for Groovy
2) Groovy is a highly productive language that gives the hobbyist coder a lot of shortcuts over Java
3) While I've never used GroovyFX, what I've seen of it has seemed very impressive

George Seese

Sep 16, 2014, 10:24:55 PM9/16/14
to groo...@googlegroups.com, parke...@yahoo.com
Based on comments here, I decided to try groovy in IntelliJ.
I installed IntelliJ Community.
Following instructions here, I was able to make a groovy project.

It appears workable; I plan to learn more.
thanks.