Sydney Groovy User Group Meeting

snaglepus

May 24, 2011, 5:56:32 PM5/24/11
to Groovy Sydney
Hey All

I would like to get the Sydney Groovy/Grails User Groups
reinvigorated.

Here at Posse.com, we do a lot of work on grails and groovy and would
be great to see if there is a community going on in Sydney that would
be interested in getting together.

I am working on holding a meeting in Mid June which will be sponsored
by Posse. We will probably get a guest speaker in. Would love to hear
who would be interested in attending?

Regards

Rob James

Giancarlo Piva

May 24, 2011, 7:56:38 PM5/24/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

I am interested.

Regards,

Carlo

john robens

May 24, 2011, 7:59:22 PM5/24/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Rob

I could show off emissions calculators.
http://emissionscalculator.gbrmpa.gov.au/fisheries/

Maybe project level experience or technical level. In Townsville at
the moment working on next phases - so actively developing in grails
and refining knowledge and techniques.

Sounds good.

Thanks

--
http://interlated.com.au
0434 996 607

Steve Dalton

May 24, 2011, 6:02:37 PM5/24/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob

My advice is just setup a meeting a do it. Then do it regularly on the
same day every month and a regular venue so people get used to it. If
you have no speakers - just do lightning talks until you get a bit of
momentum behind you. You can also always skype in people from other
locations to do talks - or get them to record things (I think Graeme
Rocher has done this before).

Even if you only get 5 people at first - it's a start. I am happy to
spruik it all over the place if you get it up (I help run the Qld
groups) and attend if I'm ever in Sydney when there is a meeting on.
Spring would be a good source of help - you want some contacts there
let me know - I'm sure they would be able to provide some speakers and
possibly some sponsorship. I'll also be in Sydney on Tuesday (CEBIT)
if you want to catch up there.

I use meetup a fair bit - I find the way it cross-polinates groups
brings in a lot of people - it's well worth the subscription... about
the only thing I pay for like this at the moment.

Good luck!

Steve

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:56 AM, snaglepus <jame...@gmail.com> wrote:

> --

Refactor
Engage. Succeed. Repeat.
PO Box 802, Labrador, Q 4215, Australia
tel: +61 (0)7 5668 3424 web: refactor.com.au

shahid

May 25, 2011, 1:02:48 AM5/25/11
to Groovy Sydney
Hi Rob,

I am also interested to attend. In my last project I used Grails and I
love Groovy for its all things groovy.

Cheers
Shahid
> > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/groovy-sydney?hl=en.

Marcin Popielarz

May 25, 2011, 7:04:10 AM5/25/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested.

Marcin

Chris Mountford

May 30, 2011, 5:23:37 AM5/30/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com, Groovy Sydney
I'm interested too.

Speaking for my employer here, Atlassian can probably host a monthly evening for the community and fill a few seats at the same time.

We have a space, PA and laptop + projector. Beer and pizza may not be out of the question.

Does this sweeten the deal for anyone?

bye for now,

Chris.

Ronaldo Junior

May 30, 2011, 5:28:06 AM5/30/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am definitely in.

Ronaldo Gomes
--
Ronaldo da Silva Gomes Junior

Chris Broadfoot

May 30, 2011, 6:13:09 AM5/30/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
I'll probably make it along, too.

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Chris Mountford <chris.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does this sweeten the deal for anyone?

Sounds good to me :)

Steve Dalton

May 31, 2011, 6:26:35 PM5/31/11
to groovy...@googlegroups.com, Lawrence Crowther
I had Coffee with Lawrence Crowther from vmware/spring yesterday -
they don't do a lot of Grails in Australia but are keen to grow the GR
community and engage with developers. I would suggest someone touch
base with him. They may be able to help with something - whether it be
venue/food or even maybe provide some speakers from Spring when they
are in town.

I've CC'd him on this email - feel free to get in touch with him....
I'm not a SydneySider anymore so I'll leave it to you guys.

Steve