Meeting in Early May?

1 view

Peter Bell

Apr 13, 2010, 5:27:12 PM4/13/10
to Groovy Sydney
Hi All,

I co-manage a Groovy/Grails meetup in New York, attended Gr8 in
Copenhagen last year and am just off to the US Gr8 later this week. I
lived in Sydney for 4 months the other year but am now based in New
York. I've also contributed to Groovy mag and present at a bunch of
other tech conferences in the US/UK.

Long shot, but I'm in Sydney to present at a Web conference (WebDU -
http://www.webdu.com.au/) in early May. I'll be there May 4th-9th.
Anyone interested in a meetup on the evening of Tuesday 4th or
Wednesday 5th? I could talk about some of the sessions from Gr8 US or
we could just hang out and hack. I'll be in Bondi, but more than happy
to take a bus downtown. An office would be great, but I figure we
could meet at a coffee shop or in a hotel if we couldn't get a space
together.

Any interest?

Best Wishes,
Peter

Dushan Hanuska

Apr 14, 2010, 8:02:20 AM4/14/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I sent an e-mail to Brendan Humphreys <brendan....@gmail.com>, who is my ex-colleague from Atlassian asking him if they could help out. Atlassian usually sponsors / hosts SJUG (Sydney Java Users Group) and SLUG (Sydney Linux Users Group) meetings. Feel free to write to him directly, he is a cool guy and I am sure he'll be happy to help out. You can mention to him that I gave you his e-mail address.

Cheers,
Dushan

Brendan Humphreys

Apr 14, 2010, 5:36:31 PM4/14/10
to Groovy Sydney
Peter,

Atlassian would be happy to host a groovy/grails meetup. May 4th or
5th are okay. Let me know which suits and I'll lock it in.

Cheers,
-Brendan

On Apr 14, 10:02 pm, Dushan Hanuska <dushan.hanu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>

> I sent an e-mail to Brendan Humphreys <brendan.humphr...@gmail.com>, who is

Peter Bell

Apr 14, 2010, 6:17:25 PM4/14/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendan,

That would be awesome. How about we lock it in for Tuesday 4th at whatever the normal meeting time is (what is normal - 6.30? 7?).

Anyone who might come, please just respond so we have a sense of numbers. I'll also promote this to people attending WebDU which is a web conference and some other contacts I have down in Sydney. If anyone who can't make it could pass this along to anyone else who might be interested, it'd be much appreciated.

Brendan, just let me know the location and the time and I'll start to promote this. I can definitely present something on the gr8 conf in the US, although if anyone else has anything they'd like to hear about or present on, just let us know!

Side note - Brendan, do you happen to know Tim Buntel? I knew him back from his Adobe days and believe he's working at Atlassian now . . .

Best Wishes,
Peter

Nick

Apr 14, 2010, 6:27:08 PM4/14/10
to Groovy Sydney
Hi Peter,

Out of curiousity have you heard anything that is Groovy related on
Android?

Cheers,
Nick

Peter Bell

Apr 14, 2010, 6:33:04 PM4/14/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

Not really :-( They have scripting support (http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/06/introducing-android-scripting.html) but specifically did *not* mention Groovy. I don't currently do anything with android.

I see there was a summer project last year playing with the concept:

Haven't come across anything specific - sorry! Will ask around at gr8 in the US on Friday . . .

Best Wishes,
Peter

Andrew Walker

Apr 14, 2010, 7:12:36 PM4/14/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Oops, sorry guys: 101 error, I only read the first one in my inbox
before replying.

I'll bring 5 folk along including myself on 4th Peter.

Offer still stands re another night with agile-centric audience if you want.

A.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Andrew Walker <and...@almostawake.com> wrote:
> Absolutely.
>
> I'm pretty sure I could get at least 5 people along without thinking :)
>
> Could I suggest that we go for a pub with private bar, like the RoR
> format in Sydney?  People pay for their own drinks, but you get your
> own space and buzz, works well.
>
> I can help organise, I realise it will be difficult for you. I head up
> the Sydney Agile Alliance group, so been looking at venues anyway.
>
> If you were prepared to do an agile-centric intro thing - where you're
> basically demonstrating the benefits of Grails for rapid dev in an
> agile world (to less technical audience), I could probably organise a
> meetup in that community seperately?  Might need to be slightly bigger
> venue?
>
> Andrew Walker

Andrew Walker

Giancarlo Piva

Apr 14, 2010, 9:37:35 PM4/14/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys I am in for meeting as well in Early May
I run a few grails apps in production for a start up
so generally more interested in advanced topics that
intro stuff.. anyway would be great to catch up

Carlo

Ronaldo Junior

Apr 14, 2010, 11:21:01 PM4/14/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
I am totally in.
Ronaldo da Silva Gomes Junior

Peter Bell

Apr 17, 2010, 11:10:37 AM4/17/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

Got quite a bit of interest - on list and off, so we're on! I have an email into Brendan confirming, but mark your calendars for 6.30pm Tuesday May 4th at the Atlassian offices. Once I get the final confirmation from Brendan, I'll post again to the list to confirm the details.

One topic I'd really be interested in doing is "Practical DSL Design". Below is a proposed session title, description and bio. Let me know pro or con if you like it. This is something I'll probably also be presenting in London and New York and I think it's a pretty cool topic. If that doesn't work, I'd be more than happy to do something on plugins (maybe a deep dive into the core plugins using them as examples to show the hooks for writing your own) or something on "Beyond Scaffolding" looking at both existing plugins and new techniques to interpret/generate rich view DSLs to go beyond the scaffolding support in Grails. I could also do something on "real world testing in Grails" looking at what it really makes sense to test and covering unit and integration testing as well as some of the testing plugins and their various strengths and weaknesses.

So what would you prefer?
1. Practical DSL Design
2. Core Plugins - a Deep Dive
3. Beyond Scaffolding
4. Real World Testing in Grails

Anyone planning to attend,  please chime in. Remember - vote early, vote often! If it's close, I'd love to do the Practical DSL design, but if there is a lot of interest in one of the other topics, I'll do that. I will pick the topic on Tuesday morning my time to give us plenty of time to get the word out. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Best Wishes,
Peter

Title: Practical DSL Design
Summary: What are some practical uses for Domain Specific Languages? And how do you go about designing DSLs, implementing them in Groovy, creating tests for your models and evolving the structure of the languages over time? In this fast paced session we'll look at a real world Groovy DSL, how it was designed and implemented, the testing strategies employed and the options for evolving the structure (grammar) of the DSL. If you've built DSLs but want to go further, or if you've still not figured out how a DSL might help you to build better, more maintainable apps more quickly and easily, come along and learn more about creating practical, maintainable DSLs for your projects.

Bio: Peter Bell presents internationally and writes extensively on Domain Specific Languages, Software Product Lines, Agile Development and dynamic languages on the JVM. He is creator of the SystemsForge software product line that has been presented at ooPSLA and is mentioned in an upcoming issue of IEEE Software Magazine and is on the program committee for Code Generation, the Domain Specific Modeling Workshop at SPLASH (was ooPSLA) and the British Computer Society Software Practices Advancement conference in London. Originally from the UK, he used to live in Sydney for a while, but due to a regrettable lapse in judgement is now slumming it in New York!

On Apr 16, 2010, at 3:06 AM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

Hi Peter,

I'll be in town both 17th and 24th (I hear you're aiming for Mondays). If for any reason you're short of a topic, I'd be more than happy to do a reprise of some of the gr8.us content or put together something else, but if you have someone to speak, I'd also be more than happy just to turn up and meet the local g-g-geniuses :-)

Hope the conference is going well over there! I'd be delighted to have
you at the London GGUG as a guest speaker or simply as a guest. If
you're happy to do a talk, that would be great. What do you have in
mind?

The talks are scheduled for the third Monday of each month, so that
should be 17th. I'll confirm with SkillsMatter next Monday and let you
know. If you don't hear from me, just ping me again.

Congrats on the new job, btw!

Thanks! A little chaotic at the moment, but it will hopefully settle down soon.

All the best,

Peter

Gary Mann

Apr 18, 2010, 8:02:57 PM4/18/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
My vote would be for the Practical DSL Design talk, this is something I am interested in anyhow.

Given that this will be the first meeting of the Groovy Sydney User Group for some time, will there be some discussion about how regularly it would meet in future and how we might find speakers for future talks?  I am interested in simply getting an idea of how many people are actually using Groovy in Australia, and Sydney in particular.

Gary

Nick

Apr 18, 2010, 9:29:09 PM4/18/10
to Groovy Sydney
+1 for DSLs.

Also very interested with Grails testing.

Brendan Humphreys

Apr 18, 2010, 9:40:11 PM4/18/10
to Groovy Sydney
I've reserved the space at Atlassian HQ for a meetup on Tuesday, May 4
@ 6:30pm

Who normally organises Groovy/Grails meetups in Sydney? Is this the
list they are organised on?

I was going to use eventbrite.com to collect RSVPs (I can probably
swing some pizza and beer for the night). Any objections?

Cheers,
-Brendan

Felix Tjandrawibawa

Apr 18, 2010, 10:04:54 PM4/18/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
+1 for DSL - being a newbie on Groovy / Grails.
Once the details are set - will tell people in the office - some might be interested.

Cheers

Felix.

Dushan Hanuska

James Dumay

Apr 19, 2010, 12:12:07 AM4/19/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is interested we have written some kick ass Grails CI support for Bamboo 2.6 that we haven't gotten around to announcing yet. Anyone interested in a pre-meeting demo?

James

Dushan Hanuska

Apr 19, 2010, 12:42:20 AM4/19/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
That would be awesome, James! I'm definitely in!

:Dushan

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM, James Dumay <james....@gmail.com> wrote:
If anyone is interested we have written some kick ass Grails CI support for Bamboo 2.6 that we haven't gotten around to announcing yet. Anyone interested in a pre-meeting demo?

James

Gary Mann

Apr 19, 2010, 9:53:28 PM4/19/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would like to see this demo too.  Does "pre-meeting" mean before 6 p.m.?  It might be difficult for some people to get there before 6 if they have to finish a working day beforehand.  Something like holding the demo at 6.10 p.m. and the main talk at 6.30 p.m. would work.

Gary
Apr 20, 2010, 7:41:59 PM4/20/10
to Groovy Sydney
Please RSVP at this URL for the night:

http://groovy-sydney-may2010.eventbrite.com/

I said 6pm for beer + pizza, talk starts 6:30pm

Cheers,
-Brendan

On Apr 20, 12:35 pm, James Dumay <james.w.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could do the demo after the talk without any problems too

> On Tuesday, April 20, 2010, Gary Mann <gary.ma...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I would like to see this demo too.  Does
> > "pre-meeting" mean before 6 p.m.?  It might be difficult for some people to
> > get there before 6 if they have to finish a working day
> > beforehand.  Something like holding the demo at 6.10 p.m. and the main
> > talk at 6.30 p.m. would work.
>
> > Gary

Peter Bell

May 5, 2010, 3:20:07 AM5/5/10
to groovy...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone who came out last night for the presentation (or possible for the beer and pizza :-) ).

The slides are now available online.

Had a great time. Thanks for the invite, and hopefully I'll see some of you next time I'm back in Sydney . . .

Best Wishes,
Peter

Begin forwarded message: