Grive development is a schmozzle!

Bernd Wechner

Sep 25, 2015, 7:56:54 AM9/25/15
to grive-devel
Sorry guys, but I just installed grive on a LinuxMINT system which as it happens installs a fork. It didn't work, in fact causes some real weirdness so I wanted to get the sources and debug, but aaargh, pulling my hair out at how poorly coordinate grive development has been.

Here are my notes from a survey of github:

Grive

As at Sep 25, 2015

An original effort:

https://github.com/Grive/grive
http://www.lbreda.com/grive/start

Started on 26 Apr 2012 by match065, described as "first version. can download files"
Last commit was  May 3, 2013.
16 contributors.
So seems dead. But lots of infrastructure, a nice website and more. Weird.
match065 and nestal top contributors.
25 open pull requests, and no-one pulling! 31 closed pull requests. Last one closed on 20 Mar 2013.
193 open issues! 70 closed.
Stopped at release 0.2

https://github.com/Grive
Is "The development team of Grive" and made up of match065 and nestal
match065 had no activity at all on github in the last year, last touched grive on 21 Jun, 2012
nestal's last activity was 22 March 2015 on another project, last touched grive on 3 May, 2013.

A fork:

https://github.com/vitalif/grive2

Forked on 23 Jul 2014, first release on 18 May 2015.
Also 16 contributors. Last commit was Aug 31, 2015
So seems active. But why fork? Why not just contribute and grow grive?
No pull requests open or closed.
15 open issues. 14 closed.
Started at release 0.4.0 and is up to 0.4.1.
This is what the Debian package installs (release 0.4.0 actually not the latest)

A seemingly independent project (not a github fork):

https://github.com/MasterSoft24/Grive2
https://github.com/MasterSoft24/grive2m         system tray support for Grive2
https://github.com/MasterSoft24/grive2-gui      a GUI for Grive2

Started on 24 Sep 2014, described as "Original forked Grive." - but not a github fork an independent project.
MasterSoft24 has gone wild doing it again! With three projects!
2 contributors (MasterSoft24 and one commit from abs0). Last commit was Sep 24, 2015 (a merged pull request)
1 pull request closed, none open
5 open issues, 3 closed
Started at release 0.1 up to release 0.3

So what gives? Where is match065 (I sent an email to see if he's alive and responding), and why isn't there a coordinated approach to developing this beast?

There seems a large number of interested folk and a plethora of simple gitub forks, probably because match065 and nestal disappeared and wouldn't let active folk like vitalif and MasterSoft24 into the Grive organization at:

https://github.com/Grive

Seems like chaos to me!