"if" node in "message" ?

Kevin Bailey

Nov 10, 2016, 4:34:23 PM11/10/16
to grit-users
Should it be possible to put an "if" node within a "message" ?

  <message name="IDS_NOT_SECURE_VERBOSE_STATE" desc="An adjective or short
    <if expr="use_titlecase">
      <then>
        Not Secure
      </then>
      <else>
        Not secure
      </else>
    </if>
  </message>

We're seeing:

grit.exception.UnexpectedChild: An unexpected child element was encountered (on
a leaf node).: invalid child <grit.node.misc.IfNode object at 0x7f4b066ca090>
for parent message

Without this ability, we'll have to duplicate the message, which, in this case, has a huge description
that we'd rather not to duplicate.

thanks

Newton Allen

Nov 10, 2016, 4:44:32 PM11/10/16
to grit-...@googlegroups.com
Putting <if> inside a <message> isn't possible currently. If you have a long message where only the first line/sentence is different, then one workaround is to split the message into two parts, provide two variants of the first part using <if><else>, then do runtime concatenation to create the full message.

Best,
Newton