Conference call for new developers, Sunday May 1st, 6pm CST

Ian Young

Apr 25, 2011, 3:28:00 AM4/25/11
to grinnellplan...@googlegroups.com
Great! This will be happening on Sunday May 1st, at 6pm CST. Mark your calendars.

If you would like to attend but haven't responded yet, no problem. Just add yourself at http://doodle.com/ggn8qirg2pvxkg6p so that I know to expect you.

If you are new to Rails, try to set aside a couple hours this week to work through http://railsforzombies.org/. Don't worry, it's actually pretty fun. We'll talk about Rails basics a little at the beginning, but having that foundation will help you keep up with some of the later topics.

Ian

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Ian Young <ian.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to hold a conference call for anyone who's interested in
contributing to the Rails project but unsure where or how to start. No
prior experience necessary.

We'll talk about how to approach a task in Rails, plus testing, rspec,
and I'll show you the TDD-ish workflow that works well for me. Everyone
will get a bite-sized task to put your new skills to work and hopefully
merge into Plans at the end of the session!

If it works for most people, the tentative date for this is Sunday, May
1st. I've created a Doodle poll with a number of possible times; if you
are interested in attending please fill out which options work for you:
http://doodle.com/ggn8qirg2pvxkg6p. If you're interested but that day
does not work at all for you, please respond to the poll leaving all
options unchecked, so that I'm aware.

Ian

Ian Young

Apr 29, 2011, 8:52:06 PM4/29/11
to grinnellplan...@googlegroups.com
Hi all! Reminder: conference call this Sunday, 6pm CST (that's 4pm for
us west-coasters). Set your alarms or whatever.

Also, does anyone not have access to Skype and Google chat? As long as
it works for everyone, I'm planning to use Skype for the talking and
chat for sharing links and whatnot.

I would also recommend getting Rails set up beforehand so you can hack
at home during the call, it's going to be interactive, after all. There
are a number of installation options available at
http://rubyonrails.org/download. If you have trouble getting it running,
hit up someone from the mentor list for help.

Ian

Shitanshu Aggarwal

May 1, 2011, 5:56:57 PM5/1/11
to grinnellplan...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry I won't be able to make this meeting; I thought I could. I have to get some school work done. I will continue to be inactive through graduation and few weeks after that. I tried to get my hands dirty over spring break (mid march), and was blocked on learning how to use the AuthLogic gem. I had planned to add user authentication to the code since that was the next logical step then. I remember not getting very far with it.

Thanks,
Shitanshu

Shitanshu Aggarwal