Feature review: guest access

Ian Young

Mar 26, 2011, 9:00:17 PM3/26/11
to grinnellplan...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to try this process for reviewing questionable features and deciding whether they should be reimplemented in new Plans. I'll summarize the issue in a new thread on the mailing list. Usually I'll try to request information that could help inform this decision. At this point anyone can pitch in. Fact-based arguments work best, but anecdotes and ideology are fine too. Hopefully at the end of the thread we can reach a Wikipedia-esque consensus.

First up: guest access.

Right now [plans] offers two options for users without accounts: people can log in as guests and read any plans marked as guest-readable, or users can set a guest password and distribute a link to their friends to view only their plan.

I would like to check if these features are in significant use and consider removing one or both of them. A good place to start would be usage stats. How many accounts are guest readable? How many have a guest password set? If we can get the numbers, how many guest logins or passworded views do we get per month?

Mark Root-Wiley

Mar 27, 2011, 12:41:34 AM3/27/11
to GrinnellPlans Development
Nothing huge to add to here, but it occurs to me that making some
polls on plans might be useful.

For guest readable, I see nothing wrong with making a decision mostly
based on analytics, but for other things, it might be nice to get
plans community input (while keeping in mind that poll responders are
probably the most frequent users and more likely to be "power users").

Ian Young

Apr 19, 2011, 3:28:28 AM4/19/11
to grinnellplan...@googlegroups.com
Ok, here are some numbers for your consideration:

Number of people with "guest viewable" turned off / on: 4871 / 276
Same measurement for users active within the past 3 months: 2698 / 160

Number of users with a guest password set: 98
Number of users active within the last 3 months with a guest password set: 74

Number of times a plan was loaded using a guest password in the past 3 months: 1,807
For comparison, number of times all plans were loaded in the past 3 months: 4,732,055
Number of unique plans loaded using a guest password in the past 3 months: 11

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to determine from the server logs how many guest logins we have had.

Ian