Fwd: Granny Bulletin: May 2021

1 view

Jen

May 11, 2021, 7:15:33 PM5/11/21
to Jennifer de Alwis
Rather than putting the bulletin on our website as it is too big a communication, I am sending this out to you all. Enjoy!

    • Sent from my ipad

Begin forwarded message:

From: The Stephen Lewis Foundation <camp...@stephenlewisfoundation.org>
Date: May 11, 2021 at 10:06:45 AM EDT
To: deal...@gmail.com
Subject: Granny Bulletin: May 2021

Welcome to the Granny Bulletin – your source for news, stories and information about exciting initiatives from the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign.

In this Granny Bulletin:
  • Retired nurses inspiring hope and promoting health in response to the HIV and AIDS pandemic
  • How will you Stride to Turn the Tide?
  • Live online conversation with Idah Mukuka Nambeya & Niambi Martin-John
  • Campaign Connections: May Campaign Call
Dear Grandmothers and Grandothers,

You may have noticed a new edition to the Granny Bulletin header and the Grandmothers Campaign website – a special logo to celebrate the 15th Anniversary of the grandmothers movement! This image tells the remarkable story of what becomes possible when a group of tenacious individuals commit to working in solidarity. In a world where news cycles are short, and global crises fall off the international radar far too quickly, members of the Grandmothers Campaign have kept the spotlight on the HIV and AIDS pandemic.  For 15 years, you have been calling attention to the impact, expertise and sustainability of community-based leadership. There is no other social justice movement quite like the Grandmothers Campaign, and we thank you for each and every action you take to grow and nurture our collective work. Since 2006, more than $40 million has been raised in support of grandmothers in Africa and their community-based organizations.
We hope you’ll join us this month for two Grandmothers Campaign Zoom calls – one that will focus on ways we can continue to strengthen the Campaign by reaching new members, and the other to reflect on the impact of the work African grandmothers are doing with support from the SLF’s community-based partners. Read on for full details!

We’re grateful for you, and hope you continue to stay well and safe.

In solidarity,
Megan, Winnie, Ruth-Anne and Sarah
Retired nurses inspiring hope and promoting health in response to the HIV and AIDS pandemic
In 1999, a group of retired nurses founded Botswana Retired Nurses Society (BORNUS) to respond to the needs of people in their community affected by HIV and AIDS. BORNUS draws its expertise from a pool of experienced nurses, social workers and other professionals who are an integral part of the community where they work. They promote health and wellbeing and work to inspire hope through transformative education, care and support services.
Their Community Relief Day Care Centre acts as a hub to provide comprehensive care and support to people living with HIV and AIDS, children who have lost their parents to AIDS-related illnesses, and grandmothers acting as primary caregivers for the children.
BORNUS also delivers education programs to support children and young people through key moments of their growth and development. These programs are equitable and inclusive. All children, regardless of their economic background or life circumstances, have equal access.
The pre-school program ensures that children in their early years develop strong social, emotional and cognitive skills to help them thrive when they enter the formal school system. Their after-school tutoring program provides one-on-one support and life-skills coaching to primary school children and adolescents, empowering them to focus on their studies while also equipping them with skills to face real world challenges. Participants develop healthy habits to support their academic success, mental health and physical well-being, and learn to assertively and confidently navigate challenges they may encounter in their lives.
One of BORNUS’ primary areas of work is with grandmothers who are caregivers. The grandmothers support group program provides peer-to-peer support and parenting resources and assists with income-generating activities. Today, the grandmothers support group is an independent, registered organization, led for and by grandmothers who manage a number of projects, including beekeeping  to harvest honey. They also knit, sew and sell their products to members of the community. Some of the BORNUS grandmothers have become members of their Village Development Committee, and are part of decision-making processes related to community development.
COVID-19 has affected  day-to-day operations at BORNUS. There was a point when their Centre had to stop offering services, because Botswana was under lockdown. They have since re-opened, and are providing services while practicing social distancing and other safety protocols, like reducing the number of participants for each session. They also help inform community members of safety precautions to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, through activities like educational art projects for children to help them stay safe at home and school.
Although the grandmothers support group has been meeting less frequently, they have continued their income-generating projects and have made and donated cloth masks to members of their community. Recognizing the great contributions grandmothers make to the community, BORNUS is constructing a building  the grandmothers group, giving them space to  expand their collective work.
How will you Stride to Turn the Tide?
Grandmothers and grandothers are striding in solidarity for this year’s Virtual Stride to Turn the Tide. Some groups have launched fitness challenges and others are counting steps, walking, running, gardening, biking and showing their solidarity by virtually visiting other grandmothers groups to raise funds for for grandmothers and their community-based organizations in sub-Saharan Africa.
We’ll be kicking off our Stride month on June 1st. Throughout the month, we’ll share a weekly Virtual Stride update. Sign up for Stride email updates here. There’s still time to form a team or join the Grandmothers Campaign team. Learn more and join in at www.stridetoturnthetide.ca.
Join us on Tuesday, May 25 at 11 am EDT for a special conversation between Idah Mukuka Nambeya, Senior Advisor to the Grandmothers Campaign, and Niambi Martin-John, Director of Development at the SLF. Please RSVP by email
Campaign Connections: May Campaign Call

Monthly Campaign calls are always a highlight. These calls have been opportunities to connect with one another across the Campaign, to share ideas, strategies, and tips. This month, we’ll discuss outreach and recruitment strategies.

Save the date and join the conversation on Thursday, May 20 at 12:30 pm EDT. Email camp...@stephenlewisfoundation.org to RSVP.

The Stephen Lewis Foundation believes that transparency and accountability are essential. With this in mind, we are proud to be accredited by Imagine Canada’s Standards Program.
Please share this message with your community:
Share Share
Tweet Tweet
Forward Forward
Facebook
Website
You have been sent this email because you provided your email address to the Stephen Lewis Foundation. Occasionally, you will receive email updates about the Foundation and our partner organizations in sub-Saharan Africa.

Click here to unsubscribe from this list

Please contact us if you wish to update your email address

The Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign is an initiative of

Stephen Lewis Foundation
260 Spadina Avenue, Suite 100, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2E4, Canada
Tel: 416-533-9292 Toll-free: 1-888-203-9990
Canadian Charitable Registration # 89635 4008 RR0001

stephenlewisfoundation.org I in...@stephenlewisfoundation.org