How about Friday, July 3rd?

1 view

Gerald de Jong

Jun 16, 2009, 11:19:43 AM6/16/09
to Greythumb NL
Helly Greythumbers!

It has been a very long time since we've had a meeting. Several
people have asked me whether something was coming up, and finally I've
found something really interesting for us to play with and talk about.

I attend a kind of university course every week in Second Life on
thursday night, and last week the fellow giving a presentation was
William Buckley, and he introduced us to Golly. It was really fun
just to pick it up and play around a bit, and some of the examples are
really excellent looking. Others have some interesting theoretical
value, even if they're not totally pretty.. like they self-replicate.

http://golly.sourceforge.net/

I would like to have this meeting at my own office, overlooking
Rotterdam. For those of you who haven't yet been here, it has a
mindblowing view. I'm very lucky to have this office, and it's an
excellent place for a small meeting.

http://www.darwinathome.org/blojsom/resources/default/FluxeAtArchitectOffice.jpg

I need to hear from people who want to come so I know how much beer
and snacks to buy. Please put it in your calendar and let me know if
you can make it.

--
Gerald de Jong
Beautiful Code BV

Kees de Kooter

Jun 16, 2009, 2:57:08 PM6/16/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Count me in!

Cheers,
Kees

Berg, Jan van den

Jun 16, 2009, 3:55:53 PM6/16/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerald,

Hoe gaat het ermee? Ik begrijp dat je voor jezelf bent begonnen op een hoge locatie? Ziet er fraai uit!

Naast echt werk veel leuke dingen naar het schijnt...!?

Ik heb in Delft weer een beetje nieuwe start gevonden: doe wat aan Businesss Intelligence, projecten in de zorg en verder ook ontwikkeling van nieuwe MSc programma's waarvan 1 aan Taiz University in Yemen. Verder publiceer ik nog veel en bezoek daardoor oa een conferentie in jouw geboorteland: Vancouver, Canada.

Misschien van de zomer elkaar weer eens opzoeken: wil je bv eens bij ons langskomen voor een hapje en een drankje(zoals ik eerder al eens aankaartte?), desgewenst met family?

All the best!
Jan

Jun 17, 2009, 1:43:13 AM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerald

If I find a place to stay for a night somewhere in the West I'd love to join.
--
cheers,
artm

http://claimid.com/artm

Gerald de Jong

Jun 17, 2009, 1:47:20 AM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
We need you there, Artem! Anybody got a spare bed for a stray Russian?

Sam Brodkin

Jun 17, 2009, 3:58:26 AM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Wow Golly looks like a cool Apple IIe app.  I like the "breeders" category of demos.  Sexy.  Plus beer and chips with a view of Rotterdam?  Count me in!

Sam

Gerald de Jong

Jun 17, 2009, 4:04:57 AM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Great, that's already 4. Gerald, Kees, Artem, Sam. There's room for
a bunch more. I was thinking it might be fun to have a kind of
experimentation session where everybody brings a laptop along to put
between the beer and the chips.

Sam Brodkin

Jun 17, 2009, 7:07:19 AM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
You can get a bed for as cheaply as 20 euros in Rotterdam:

http://www.jip.org/usecms/simply.php?pid=49&sid=1

Sam

Sjoerd Siebinga

Jun 17, 2009, 8:09:39 AM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Count me in as well.

Sjoerd

Rudolf Nico Penninkhof

Jun 17, 2009, 12:31:39 PM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com

Hey Gerald!

Excellent to hear about the new Greythumb meeting! You can count me in as well, even though I didn't read when it will be held?
Since I'll be driving or riding something there's no need to buy beer for me, I'll take water, tea or any real fruit juice you have :-). For Artem I saw a place for as little as 10 euros, and I might just join him instead of riding back, it's here:
Sleep-In De Mafkees, Schaatsbaan 41-45 (240 91 58)
For only € 10 per night (including breakfast) you can spend the night in this very original Sleep-Inn, located in an old skating rink near Central Station (only a two-minute walk). There is one mixed dormitory and one for women only. There is one very special suite: the honeymoon suite! Every night at 9pm there is a free movie. The Sleep-In is open in July and August, almost 24 hrs. a day.

So see you then!

Rudolf.

Rudolf Nico Penninkhof

Jun 17, 2009, 12:32:53 PM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com

Oh, the date was in the title I see now.. Friday works for me :-). Till than!

- Rudolf.

Gerald de Jong

Jun 17, 2009, 1:12:14 PM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Okay, we're at 6 with Rudolf and Sjoerd. Now let's get 6 more!

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Gerald de Jong<gerald...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great, that's already 4.  Gerald, Kees, Artem, Sam.

Artem Baguinski

Jun 17, 2009, 1:56:33 PM6/17/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Rudolf Nico
Penninkhof<penni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sleep-In De Mafkees, Schaatsbaan 41-45 (240 91 58)
> For only € 10 per night (including breakfast) you can spend the night in
> this very original Sleep-Inn, located in an old skating rink near Central
> Station (only a two-minute walk). There is one mixed dormitory and one for
> women only. There is one very special suite: the honeymoon suite! Every
> night at 9pm there is a free movie. The Sleep-In is open in July and August,
> almost 24 hrs. a day.

that sounds exciting, it's on the top of my list now :-) at this price
I (we) probably have to book in advance, no?

kir...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2009, 7:03:50 AM6/18/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
I meant to visit Gerald's office for quite some time already.
I am in!

What time does the party start btw?

Vitali

evolutie

Jun 18, 2009, 10:08:14 AM6/18/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Ohh! Finally Gerald is sharing his view :D
I'm in too, and ofcourse Artm is welcome to stay at my place!

evo
--
http://www.creativemachinery.org
http://blog.wdka.nl/crosslab

Artem Baguinski

Jun 18, 2009, 10:14:46 AM6/18/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
oh, great, thanks!

Viktor

Jun 19, 2009, 8:30:39 AM6/19/09
to greythumb-nl, Viktor Sadovnikov
Gerald,

Is your office large enough to accommodate yet another guest?
I'll join, please, count me in. How late do we start?

Cheers,
Viktor

gerald...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2009, 12:55:48 PM6/19/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Great you can come, my friend!

---

Jun 19, 2009, 5:23:01 PM6/19/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
This is going to be fun. Evo, Vitali, Viktor, Rudolf, Sjoerd, Kees,
Artem, Sam, Gerald.

Arno den Hond

Jun 20, 2009, 6:50:36 PM6/20/09
to greythumb-nl
July 3rd is noted in my calendar!
Very interested to see about golly and other topics too!
All i need is the location of your office..

Gerald de Jong

Jun 21, 2009, 2:36:33 PM6/21/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!

Arno, Evo, Vitali, Viktor, Rudolf, Sjoerd, Kees, Artem, Sam, Gerald.

Location: http://bit.ly/c53El

It's on top of the building called the Maastooren (Vasteland 8), so
you will have to buzz the doorbell marked "Studio Acht Architecten"
and press the very top button in the vintage lift (wooden sliding
doors!). Failing that, everyone has my phone number (in my sig below)
so just call.

Should we order pizza at 19:00 or skip that and meet at 20:00? Any
other ideas welcome. I'll stock up on some beer and snacks, courtesy
of Beautiful Code BV.

I was thinking it would be fun if at least half the people took a
laptop along so we could make it a kind of fun workshop, with people
maybe doubling up to experiment with Golly. Actually, this kind of
scenario is more like the original Greythumb than the two we've had so
far. Hands-on is always more fun.

I guess I can prepare a bit of an introductory talk, but I'm hesitant
to once again be the guy with the big mouth. I would much prefer if
some of you would explore some of the different models within Golly,
learn something extra about them, and tell the group a little bit
about it.

I want to make an audio recording of at least the introductions and
maybe some more to publish on my podcast, to spread the word that
there is a NL chapter of Greythumb alive and well out there.

-Gerald

Kees de Kooter

Jun 21, 2009, 5:04:53 PM6/21/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Count my laptop in.

Kees

Annemiek en Tioma

Jun 25, 2009, 10:25:39 AM6/25/09
to greythumb-nl
On Jun 21, 8:36 pm, Gerald de Jong <geralddej...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent!
>
> Arno, Evo, Vitali, Viktor, Rudolf, Sjoerd, Kees, Artem, Sam, Gerald.
>
> Should we order pizza at 19:00 or skip that and meet at 20:00?  Any
> other ideas welcome.  I'll stock up on some beer and snacks, courtesy
> of Beautiful Code BV.

Hmm... I'll be coming all the way from the north and wouldn't mind to
eat on arrival. If the pizza gig is on, I'll happily eat at Gerald's
office, otherwise on the way. Consider this a pro pizza vote :-)

> I guess I can prepare a bit of an introductory talk, but I'm hesitant
> to once again be the guy with the big mouth.  I would much prefer if
> some of you would explore some of the different models within Golly,
> learn something extra about them, and tell the group a little bit
> about it.

To avoid clashes: if nobody minds, I'd like to explore and demo the
Loops folder of the patterns and tell about where they come from and
where they are going.

:)

Gerald de Jong

Jun 25, 2009, 11:51:11 AM6/25/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Annemiek en Tioma<femis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... I'll be coming all the way from the north and wouldn't mind to
> eat on arrival. If the pizza gig is on, I'll happily eat at Gerald's
> office, otherwise on the way. Consider this a pro pizza vote :-)

Any more votes?

> To avoid clashes: if nobody minds, I'd like to explore and demo the
> Loops folder of the patterns and tell about where they come from and
> where they are going.

Anybody else have favorites they want to explore a little deeper and
tell us about?

Rudolf Nico Penninkhof

Jun 25, 2009, 12:00:39 PM6/25/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com

I'm fine with pizza :-). By the way, I'm coming from the "north" as well, Haarlem, so perhaps someone can share a ride with me, possibly mine.  William R. Buckley has designed some interesting self-replicating CA's, and he will probably be able to skype in from California. I also have some of his papers and I can probably talk about that a bit by than :-).

CU, Rudolf.

Arno den Hond

Jun 26, 2009, 10:52:25 AM6/26/09
to greythumb-nl
pizza at 19.00 is fine with me
i can bring a laptop too

Govert Buijs

Jun 26, 2009, 10:57:27 AM6/26/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
Count me in as well!

Grtz, Govert

Gerald de Jong

Jun 26, 2009, 12:01:15 PM6/26/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com
I didn't even know you were coming, Govert! Are others going to
arrive unnanounced?

evolutie

Jun 26, 2009, 12:12:53 PM6/26/09
to greyth...@googlegroups.com