Anne's Talk about Replicator

Gerald de Jong

Sep 10, 2008, 2:22:07 PM9/10/08
to Greythumb NL, Anne van Rossum
Anne,

Can I please get you to write a paragraph telling us what it is you
will be talking about?

Keep in mind that the audience will include a number of people from
the Academy and others from a Media program at UofLeiden, as well as a
number of us who are nowhere near as deep as you are in the
scientific/academic world. I hope you can give us a reasonably
easy-to-understand talk.

--
Gerald de Jong
Beautiful Code BV

Anne van Rossum

Sep 17, 2008, 3:53:25 AM9/17/08
to Gerald de Jong, Greythumb NL
Hi Gerald, hi all,

The topic I want to discuss is what I described in my post http://groups.google.com/group/greythumb-nl/msg/d48451ab82d7f279?hl=en First I want to introduce you to the neuromorphic engineering community. It's a cool source for inspiration because they implement neural networks on chips, that's bio-inspired pur-sang! Secondly, I want to introduce the work of Josh Bongard, who developed an "animat" in an artificial world in which genes code for the body form and the way of locomotion. I will show a short movie about that. We can discuss the differences with your own work. And thirdly, if I have time, I want to describe a simple neural network called ART, which can be seen as a very bio-inspired way to create memory.

It is all state-of-the-art, but that doesn't mean that it will be difficult!

Kind regards,

Anne

Gerald de Jong

Sep 17, 2008, 4:33:18 AM9/17/08
to Anne van Rossum, Greythumb NL
Alright, great! I'm really looking forward to it.