Why traversal steps are executed from the last step to the first step?

jeremy...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2022, 3:23:51 AM4/1/22
to Gremlin-users
Recently I want to know how the step are exected in tinkerpop, but I finded when it started, it was executed from the last step to the first step, and just like reverse . I don't know why do you design in this way? Could you tell me the reason? And another thing is some traversers are confusing for me  like  B_O_Traverser? Could anyone explain to me? thanks.

Stephen Mallette

Apr 4, 2022, 6:47:07 AM4/4/22
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
>   I finded when it started, it was executed from the last step to the first step, and just like reverse . I don't know why do you design in this way?

It's a pull based structure, where each step is like an iterator. the last step has to query the step before it to find out what it contains (if anything).

> Could you tell me the reason? And another thing is some traversers are confusing for me  like  B_O_Traverser?

There are many different types of traversers that carry different features. The more features they require the greater memory/processing they will require. The prefixes applied to the naming of each traverser refer to the features that each implementation has as defined by TraverserRequirements

So a B_O_Traverser has the Bulk and Object requirements.