Troubles launching Gremlin Console on office computer

Fames Yasd

Dec 27, 2021, 7:54:21 AM12/27/21
to Gremlin-users
Hello all,

I've started learning Gremlin a little 2 weeks ago, was working through http://kelvinlawrence.net/book/Gremlin-Graph-Guide.html on my personal laptop, no problems here. Now, the reason I started learning Gremlin is due to job related reasons I was planning to do some queries on some graph we got. But when I tried to execute gremlin.bat script to open the console on my office laptop --- nothing happened. The office laptop is much different compared to my personal laptop, the company I'm working at has a lot of information leakage/safety security measures and a guy at the tech center said the problem happens because an office laptop has a lot of standard domain (security) policies and he asked to ask with what can the script conflict with? I guess the problem is not with the console but with Gremlin Server and I have an additional question: If this problem is not solvable is there some way to work around this problem so I can work with my graph without using conflicting sources (console,server)?

HadoopMarc

Dec 27, 2021, 8:29:54 AM12/27/21
to Gremlin-users
Can you first check whether you can execute some other hello-world.bat file that you write yourself? It may well be that you are not allowed to execute any script.

Best wishes,     Marc

BTW. Gremlin Server does not appear in "Practical Gremlin" until Chapter 7, so your issue is probably not related to that.

Fames Yasd

Dec 27, 2021, 9:38:09 AM12/27/21
to Gremlin-users

Yes, I just wrote
ECHO OFF
ECHO Hello World
PAUSE
.bat script and it executed but for gremlin.bat it writes:
The input line is too long.
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
After the first time I tried to execute it I thought that the input line might have been indeed too long as the script was behind several folders but when I placed it right at the Desktop it still writes the same thing which is weird.
понедельник, 27 декабря 2021 г. в 18:29:54 UTC+5, HadoopMarc:

Fames Yasd

Dec 28, 2021, 6:21:15 AM12/28/21
to Gremlin-users
I have googled the first error related to "cannot find the path specidied" and I found a way to avoid all three errors altogether even though I still have no idea how to fix it once and for all but if I go directly to the "bin" folder via cmd and call "gremlin.bat" from there it does execute, but now it writes: "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I assume this means I have to install Java too? I was mildly surpised as I thought I didn't use any java related stuff local on my personal computer and instead got that via connection of gremlin console to the internet through Gremlin server or something like that but when I searched for Java on my personal laptop I found it being installed even though I have no memories ever installing it on my personal laptop. If I do need to install something java related, can you pinpoint me what do I need to install and where can I get it from?

понедельник, 27 декабря 2021 г. в 19:38:09 UTC+5, Fames Yasd:

HadoopMarc

Dec 28, 2021, 8:46:04 AM12/28/21
to Gremlin-users
I am sorry, java is a mess - like most successful software languages - and I cannot help you with that. I really cannot guess how to specify a java download version on Windows. So, ask your admin, who can ask Microsoft.

Or maybe WSL is an option. On linux, the package managers do a great job and let you choose between java11 (optional for the latest TinkerPop 3.5.x and JanusGraph 0.6.x) and java8 (usable for any TinkerPop and JanusGraph version).  Also newer versions up till java17 are available (on debian based distributions: apt search '^openjdk-..?-jdk$'), but these have not been tested for TinkerPop and JanusGraph.

Best wishes,    Marc