Tinkerpop/Bitsy/JDK16 compatability

Ryan Wisnesky

Jul 9, 2021, 8:46:29 PM7/9/21
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Is there a way to make Tinkerpop work with both Bitsy (version 3.4.2) and JDK 16? It seems to me that pre-3.5.0 Tinkerpop breaks with JDK 16 due to illegal reflection, but Tinkerpop 3.5.0 breaks with Bitsy due to the following error, thanks to the upgrade from commons-configuration to commons-configuration2:

"GraphFactory can only instantiate Graph implementations from classes that have a static open() method that takes a single Apache Commons Configuration argument - [class com.lambdazen.bitsy.BitsyGraph] does not seem to have one"

Is there a way to reconcile these, or do I just have to wait for Bitsy to come out with a version that uses commons-configuration2?

Thanks!
Ryan

Stephen Mallette

Jul 12, 2021, 6:37:19 AM7/12/21
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
I think that JDK16 no longer allows --illegal-access=permit so i suppose this warning from jdk<=15 becomes an error when you go to 16+

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedClass (file:/home/smallette/jvm/apache-tinkerpop-gremlin-console-3.5.0/lib/groovy-2.5.14-indy.jar) to method java.lang.Object.finalize()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedClass
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

is that the package/class that produces the fail for you? if so, our inability to upgrade Groovy out of 2.x continues to bite:

For now I think your only recourse is to stick with an earlier version of the JDK. fwiw, i really like:

it makes keeping various runtimes up to date and switching versions of things easy.

As for Bitsy, yes, the commons-configuration upgrade essentially breaks all providers. It should be an easy fix though as I imagine most providers simply need to alter some package names with some find/replace. That's mostly all that changed. I couldn't say if that's all that Bitsy needs to support 3.5.0 of course but I don't think that it would too hard to get Bitsy up to 3.5.0 speed fairly quickly.

Sridhar Ramachandran

Aug 10, 2021, 6:38:54 PM8/10/21
to Gremlin-users
Hi Ryan and Steve,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Bitsy 3.5.0 is now compatible with Gremlin 3.5.1. I hope this fixes your issue.

Please feel free to report any issues you might encounter at https://github.com/lambdazen/bitsy/

Regards,

Sridhar.

Stephen Mallette

Aug 11, 2021, 7:52:19 AM8/11/21
to gremli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sridhar - thanks for that update on Bitsy.  it's nice to hear it is on 3.5.1. take care!