Properties on Elements

Valentyn Kahamlyk

Mar 17, 2023, 1:51:41 PM3/17/23
to Gremlin-users
Hi all, I have some exciting news to share. I'm happy to announce that I've completed the development of a large feature to return Properties on Elements, it's merged to the master branch and will be released in 3.7. Now users can get full Vertex, Edge and VertexProperty with properties from their queries in a natural way. We no longer need to answer questions on stackoverflow about why users did not get the properties :) The history of properties serialization is long and confusing, the presence of properties in the server response depended on many factors that are difficult to take into account. More details in Stephen's post https://lists.apache.org/thread/xltcon4zxnwq4fyw2r2126syyrqm8spy. This task required a revision and implementation of all serialization options in all GLV's. Even Java GLV that had the best serialization support required changes and fixes. More than 100 test cases have been added. More technical details in upgrade doc https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/master/docs/src/upgrade/release-3.7.x.asciidoc#properties-on-elements Regards, Valentyn

Daniel C. Weber

Mar 18, 2023, 10:53:21 AM3/18/23
to Gremlin-users
I read all the linked posts and explanations, but remain a bit puzzled: How have all the reasons to only serialize references now become non-issues (or less of an issue)?

Thx
Daniel

Valentyn Kahamlyk

Mar 21, 2023, 2:49:39 PM3/21/23
to Gremlin-users
Hi Daniel,

This was done to enhance the usability of the server and get properties on Elements in natural way. Users who are more comfortable using references, can configure server with `ReferenceElementStrategy`.

Regards, Valentyn