Implementing the Structure API over a set of JSON objects

sha...@essaid.com

Sep 29, 2023, 2:22:24 AM9/29/23
to Gremlin-users
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Tinkerpop and a quick search here wasn't very helpful.

Briefly, I'm interested in exploring the implementation of the Structure API over a set of arbitrary JSON objects.  Each JSON object is a "top level" Vertex but all the hierarchical structure in each JSON object is also accessible through the Structure API.

Has there been any discussion or prototyping of this that anyone can point me to?  It would be very helpful if I can build on anything that is already out there.

My plan as of now is to learn more (as the provider documentation suggested) by studying the TinkerGraph implementation and starting to prototype something based on that.

The use case I have in mind, and it's just a small and solo research project at this point, is to be able to define and execute JSON to JSON transformations with the Gremlin language between different Graph instances each of which has JSON according to some well defined schema.  Even if this is not the most efficient way to perform  such transformations in bulk, I think the flexibility of the Graph model and the Gremlin language is a great way to define such transformations and execute them to have reference examples of such transformations   for other tooling that is attempting to reproduce such transformations.

Based on the projects and communities I'm involved in, I'm also exploring options from those communities. Here are a few relevant resources in case you're curious about where I'm coming from.

I'm interested in exploring the feasibility of addressing the same needs that led to the above solutions by using what TinkerPop provides, and later being able to integrate it with other information loaded into TinkerPop graphs (i.e. not isolated JSON objects wrapped in a Graph) as a way to provide interoperability between different data models, the ones above and others in our community.

Thank you in advance for sharing any thoughs you might have about any of the above.

Best,
Shahim

Stephen Mallette

Oct 3, 2023, 9:04:35 AM10/3/23
to gremli...@googlegroups.com

nothing recently, but it's come up a few times over the years. i'm not familiar with how it works, but you might look in on https://github.com/BITPlan/com.bitplan.simplegraph for some inspiration as there is some JSON support there iirc.