Colored ledger lines overlapping notes

Steven Clark

Nov 6, 2023, 3:55:03 PM11/6/23
to Gregorio Users
Hi all,

I was typesetting an antiphon with colored staff lines, and I found that sometimes the ledger lines are place on top of the notes, so that you have a colored line running across the black note, like this:

ledger lines 2.png

I tried doing custom ledger lines in both measures to see if that would help, but it had the same result:
ledger lines.png

Is there a way around this?

Thank you!

Steven Clark

Nov 13, 2023, 2:53:45 PM11/13/23
to Gregorio Users
Looking into this a bit more, it seems that gregorio places a line for the first note of ne, then places the first note, then places a line for the second note and then places the second note.

(I suspected as much based off the last few notes, but wasn't sure why the same was happening with the first note. Turns out I had miscoded those first two notes as b!d. Changing the ! to a / fixed that part.)

It also seems that even using the custom ledger lines, gregorio will still place ledger lines when it gets to the low notes (on top of the custom ledger line).

So, for a short term solution, using a custom ledger line and then editing the .gtex file to remove all of the \GreAdditionalLine calls in that syllable does the trick for me. (I suppose I could also just not use the colored lines, but where's the fun in that?)

As for a code fix, I'm not particularly well-versed in the inner workings of gregorio, but could it be changed so that while the custom ledger lines are on, gregorio doesn't use other ledger lines?

In Jesus and Mary,

Rev. Elijah Schwab

Nov 17, 2023, 3:49:50 PM11/17/23
to Gregorio Users
You are correct in how Gregorio builds the ledger lines and notes.
For example: `CBA` Gregorio will draw C, then the ledger for B, then B, then ledger for A, then A. (ledger for a overlapping on note b)
A construction like `ab//bc` will be drawn in the order of: ledger for a, a, ledger for b, b, [space], ledger for b, b, c. SO depending on the [space] distance the second ledger for b may overlap the note b in ab.

I cannot find a good solution at the moment. You can suppress ledger lines with [ull:0]. How are you making the custom ledger lines? I cannot find the documentation for those.

Steven Clark

Nov 17, 2023, 4:28:45 PM11/17/23
to Gregorio Users
The custom ledger lines are detailed in section 6.4.16 on page 266 of the pdf documentation (version 6.0.0, 13 March 2021). I see it's also in the Gabc.tex file in the docs folder on github.

The code that I have for the custom ledger lines in the example I gave above is:

Dó(f)mi(d)ne,([ull:1{1]b/dde//dddb[ull:}],dd/ec[ull:1{1]dvBAdb/cbba[ull:}]) (:)

I tried to suppress the ledger lines with [ull:0], but can't get it to work - texworks gives me an error, though without any details. I don't see it in the documentation either.