Gregorio TeX 6.0 and \grecreatedim

Rob Leduc

May 6, 2021, 1:37:58 PM5/6/21
to Gregorio Users

Is \grecreatedim no longer a command in the latest version?  Just updated to TeXLive 2021 and this command seems to fail.  If so, it would be unfortunate as I use it to create lengths to save the defaults so when I change things for specific passages I don't have to hard code the change back.

Is there a newer preferred way to accomplish this?

Thanks

Rob

Rob Leduc

May 6, 2021, 5:14:19 PM5/6/21
to Gregorio Users

I guess answering my own question, the idea is to use a user-defined space configuration file which we load with \greloadspaceconf.  We can change whatever values we want as we go, and reload the defaults or our own chosen list of values using another \greloadspaceconf command.

1. One error/point of confusion is that while the documentation appears to say that your user-defined space configuration file can just contain the 'penalties and distances' that you want to change, and the defaults will be loaded for unnamed objects, this does not appear to be true for the (admittedly non-length, non-penalty) value of \greconffactor, which must be set to a value even if the desired value is the default value of 17.  Failing to specify this value in your gsp file (and also not anywhere else in your code) leads to an error asking you to put it in your gsp file.

2.  One downside of the new setup is that when I want to restore to the default of a change I might have made, it appears I have to either reload all the defaults (either mine or Gregorio Tex's) via \greconfloadspaceconf,  or I have to explicitly hard code the lengths I want to change using \grechangedim.  Consider a large project like a book where most scores are size 17 but there are occasional sections of multiple scores with size 15.  Suppose further that within one of those sections, commentaryraise needs adjusting here and there to avoid collisions with the score.  As the value of commentaryraise changes, one has to either explicitly reset it using \grechangedim and hard code the value 0.20 cm or one has to reload the gsp file using \greloadspaceconf, which then changes the size back to 17 so it needs to be reset to 15.  It would be nicer if there were a way to reset just the one dimension value.  I used to do this by creating a new name to hold the default value, e.g. \grecreatedim{defaultcommentaryraise}{0.20 cm}{scalable}, in my header and whenever I wanted to restore to this default, I would execute \grechangedim{commentaryraise}{defaultcommentaryraise}{inherited}.  Now there is no way to create something like defaultcommentaryraise.  That way, if I want to adjust measurements later, I just have to change 0.20 to something else in one place.

Rob

R. Padraic Springuel

May 10, 2021, 12:40:05 PM5/10/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
There appears to be some confusion as to what \greconffactor is for.  It does not change the staff size.  Rather it informs GregorioTeX what size staff the gsp file is designed for so that if the current staff size is something else, any distance being loaded which is defined as scalable will be rescaled to match the current staff size.

I do have to admit that your proposed use case for \grecreatedim was not envisioned when we privatized that macro.  The macro still exists as \gre@created so you can use by wrapping it in \makeatletter...\makeatother.  Once my computer gets back from the shop, I’ll look at this use case further to see if there’s something we want to change to make it more convenient.

✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

On May 6, 2021, at 5:14 PM, Rob Leduc <rled...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

Rob Leduc

May 11, 2021, 3:06:29 PM5/11/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
My original solution may not have been the best choice anyway.  Probably a combination of \grechangenextscorelinedim and \greloadspaceconf is sufficient.  Since I've already modified my stuff to use the new tools, I am relieved to not have to trouble you for a quick fix.

Possibly having the ability to create user-defined lengths is an idea that could be considered.  Not sure if it is worth the team's time.  I have to admit, from a logic of functionality standpoint the new setup does seem a little awkward in that you can't restore subsets of parameters independently; but maybe no one needs to do this.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gregorio Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gregorio-users/25B37D8E-627F-485A-B5A4-4480CBC8F2C7%40gmail.com.