Speeding up compilation

Andrew Hinkley

Aug 3, 2022, 6:15:41 AM8/3/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
It takes my computer over 15 seconds to compile a small Gregorio file with gprocess. (My current setup is taking 40 seconds). Is this normal? I've included a copy of the modified gprocess script I use. I run Gregorio on a Linux VM on an SSD.

Is there a way to speed up compilation? Is it possible to create a precompiled preamble? I've been trying to do it with the package at https://ctan.org/pkg/mylatexformat but without success.

gprocess400

Matthias Bry

Aug 3, 2022, 6:32:50 AM8/3/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea whatsoever but a small question, why use gregoriosyms in the preamble when you already use gregoriotex? I understand gregoriosyms is a subset of gregoriotex.

IME latex package loading takes up most of the compilation time of a single score into PDF. I'm not sure if you need fontspec and color?

Is the 15 seconds the execution time of "gregorio myscore.gabc" or does it include the latex compilation?

In Christo,
Matthias

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

Andrew Hinkley

Aug 3, 2022, 6:42:07 AM8/3/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
The time is the total time. Most of it is LaTeX loading files.

I eliminated gregoriosyms, fontspec, and color. I don't know why the first two are there, they're relics from much older versions of the script. The total compilation time without them was 30 seconds for the entire LaTeX compilation. Just running Gregorio was a fraction of a second.

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Aug 3, 2022, 9:55:39 AM8/3/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Most of the time creating finished scores is in the LuaLaTeX engine and there isn’t really anything we can do to speed that up.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE