abovelinetextraise and abovelinetextheight questions

Matthew Roth

Dec 30, 2023, 3:52:19 PM12/30/23
to Gregorio Users
I am working on a project where, truth be told, I borrowed from Matthias Bry to get started. I have attached the current testing material (fonts and preamble included)

In my main file, I have:

\newcommand{\altraise}{-0.4mm} %% default is -0.1cm %% needs to be fine-tuned with EB Garamond font. -0.4mm is MB value, previously 1.4mm and -0.2cm  (this value works best for Magnificat but it does not work with collect tones)
\grechangedim{abovelinestextraise}{\altraise}{scalable}

\newcommand{\altheight}{0.5cm} %% default is 0.3cm and value must be bigger than text height; this should fix the problem. but needs further investigation. currently 6mm in MB command
\grechangedim{abovelinestextheight}{\altheight}{scalable} %% changing this was very finicky for me as well

The value -0.2cm which I chose when working on Magnificats breaks when applied to the oration tones; Matthias's value always breaks the alt in Magnificats, and a 2nd pass breaks some of the alt in the collect examples.

I have mucked around with the values, and I am quite frankly at wit's end. Now most of the Magnificats look clean, but neither mode 1 does, and most of the descenders now clear the staff in the orations examples, but not all of the capitals (and unfortunately some of the ligatures) clear the words above them.

Gratefully,

Matthew

alt_testing.zip

Matthias Bry

Jan 4, 2024, 3:56:21 AMJan 4
to Gregorio Users
This is also unclear to me. I tinkered around and had the luck to find a combination of those that worked for me but I can't explain how and why.

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Jan 9, 2024, 10:31:00 AMJan 9
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
The given example is too complicated for me to figure out just what the problem is and what behavior you’re expecting. Can you please simplify the example so that it only contains the material relevant to the problem you’re experiencing?

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ
> --
> Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

Matthew Roth

Jan 9, 2024, 12:16:26 PMJan 9
to Gregorio Users
Fr Samuel,

The long and short of it is that I don't understand how abovelinetextraise and abovelinetextheight work.

I have: used the default values (and commented out any changes as needed); changed one but not the other; changed both, with various values. And I'm at my wit's end.

Usually something is very infelicitous: the vertical spread of the staffs is too much (particularly problematic when using something between <alt> tags in the middle of a score, such as the Te Deum) or the value works for one thing and not another, i.e.  either descenders touch the staff and there is sufficient vertical space between other words in <alt> tags and words above them OR the descenders are raised sufficiently but other text runs into the words above.

So far, I have not figured out how to get both: no clash between descenders and a staff, words in <alt> tags separated from words above, and ideally with the spacing between staffs not stretching so much as to be really noticeable…

Let me see about getting a better example for you…