Help identifying tune

Fr. Samuel Springuel

May 10, 2024, 3:57:18 PMMay 10
to noreply-spamdigest via Gregorio Users
A bit off-topic, but certainly adjacent. My monastery uses the attached hymn as part of our office, but we seem to have lost track of exactly where we got it. The words are in English, so I’ve been able to identify those, but the tune, which we set with square notes, remains elusive. Does anyone recognize where that tune comes from?

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ
You_clouds_of_heaven.pdf

Henry T. So Jr.

Jun 2, 2024, 6:29:50 PMJun 2
to gregori...@googlegroups.com, Fr. Samuel Springuel
I'll admit that the first part sounds familiar, but the rest of it doesn't.
I tried looking through my books but I haven't been able to find anything,
ever considering centonization and simplification of melismatic figures.
Perhaps the first part is familiar because it's a mode I trope. To be
honest, the simplicity and elegance of this hymn reminds me a lot of the
hymns they use during the liturgy of the hours when I visited the
Benedictine St. Meinrad Archabbey in Indiana, but I don't think it matches
up with anything I heard there exactly.

Henry
> --
> Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io
> "Gregorio Users" group.
> email to gregorio-user...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gregorio-users/8AB19B8D-9394-48ED-AB43-43C8B9C24271%40gmail.com.

Chris Ruder

Jun 3, 2024, 2:37:03 PMJun 3
to Gregorio Users
I also have been looking. That the tune is 8.8.8.8 (LM) is not of much help -- since that is a very common meter.

I can not find it in:
Worship II
St Michael's (4th Ed)
Episcopal (1940)