"Text line contains an invalid character"

Matthew Roth

Aug 20, 2022, 9:23:02 PM8/20/22
to Gregorio Users
This is more of a LaTeX question than a Gregorio question, but:

In putting together a booklet, everything was compiling fine. I added the accents back to the GABC from Gregobase to match the Liber Usualis; I made my .tex file, I compiled, repeat. Then I get to this score, and I get this error (see the .log file).

The score eventually compiles if I just keep hitting return, and it looks correct as far as I can tell, including the special character U+01FD ǽ (see the PDF),  but to do what I did is not ideal.

I compiled another score with ǽ in the GABC file, and it was fine, so I don't think it was that…

Thank you as always.
Ave_maris_stella_mode_1_romain.log
Ave_maris_stella_mode_1_romain.pdf
Ave_maris_stella_mode_1_romain.gabc
Ave_maris_stella_mode_1_romain.tex

Matthew Roth

Aug 20, 2022, 11:29:42 PM8/20/22
to Gregorio Users
This might be helpful too.
Ave_maris_stella_mode_1_romain-6_0_0.gtex

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Sep 23, 2022, 2:39:14 PM9/23/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Based on what I can tell, there’s an invisible control character (U+001F) which has slipped in between the ǽ and the following character which is causing the problem. Edit your gabc file to delete those invisible control characters (easiest way may be to retype the word it’s in from scratch) and everything should work.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ
> --
> Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io
> <Ave_maris_stella_mode_1_romain-6_0_0.gtex>

Matthew Roth

Sep 23, 2022, 6:47:48 PM9/23/22
to Gregorio Users
Thanks, Fr. Samuel. I thought that there was a typo when inserting the character via the Unicode keyboard, so you're likely on the money. Through some complicated sequence of duplicating the file to test it and fixing the words/characters in question, all is good. (This method is inefficient and apparently can lead to this sort of mistake, but I have trouble with the babel and polyglossia packages, so hardcoding it works consistently otherwise.)