Annotation with empty initial

Ian Williams

Jan 2, 2024, 8:52:58 AMJan 2
to Gregorio Users
Hi,

My standard practice when typesetting a psalm is to give the first verse in full, inlcuding notes and pointing, and then to just give pointing for subsequent verses.   The setting includes an annotation to give the mode.

I have a problem where the first half of the first verse is too short to set the intonation, in which case I include the intonation as hollow notes with empty text.  Unforrtunately, this stops the annotation from displaying.  How can I combine annotation with an empty initial?

Here's an example of the normal case:

annotation:\:;
annotation:VIII;
%%
(c4)Fret(g) not(hg) thy(gj)self(j)

And here's a problem case:

annotation:\:;
annotation:VI;
%%
(cb4) (fr) (grfr) (grhr) (:?) PRAISE(h)

Matthew Roth

Jan 3, 2024, 10:28:21 PMJan 3
to Gregorio Users
I think that you've run into a limitation of Gregorio, because the annotation is designed as the text above the initial. Fr Samuel explains it here.

I suspect that you don't have an antiphon, otherwise you'd put the mode over the initial of that chant, or perhaps you have a Gregorian psalm but a not-exactly Gregorian antiphon… Is that right?

Matthias Bry

Jan 4, 2024, 3:54:02 AMJan 4
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I have done this using the ~ character, which is an unbreakable space in LaTeX, and forces the use of white space as text.

initial-style:1;
annotation:blah;
%%
(c4) ~(grgrgr)

Matthias

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

Ian Williams

Jan 4, 2024, 5:26:10 AMJan 4
to Gregorio Users
Thanks, Matthew.  The document sets the Communion chant for for the Ordinariates' Twelfth Sunday after Trinity.  It gives three distinct versions of the antiphon (Vatican, Palmer & Burgess, and my adjustment of P&B, strictly following the text of Divine Worship), followed by explanatory text ("The antiphon may be alternated with one or more of the following verses and a Glory Be"), the setting of the first verse, and the pointed text of remaining verses.  The mode is therefore apparent from the antiphon(s), but I'd like to give it with the pslam verse too for consistency with the normal case in other documents.  Thanks for your explanation - I should have deduced that!

Regards,

Ian.

Ian Williams

Jan 4, 2024, 5:28:57 AMJan 4
to Gregorio Users
Excellent, Matthias!  A simple solution. Perfecrt.  Thanks.

Regards,

Ian.