Issue with syllables with no notes

andrew....@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2024, 3:58:53 AMJan 6
to Gregorio Users
Hello,

I'm trying to use a reciting tone for Psalms followed by empty brackets instead of repeated notes. For some reason the syllables are separated. How do I stop this happening?

The code

produces

2024-01-06_21-44.png

 Thank you,
Andrew.

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Jan 7, 2024, 2:30:11 PMJan 7
to noreply-spamdigest via Gregorio Users
I’m not quite sure why the additional spaces are appearing as the spacing algorithms should be able to put lyric syllables together when they are attached to an empty set of notes. I’ll have to look into that further at some point.

However, the quickest fix for this sort of thing is simply to combine the syllables yourself:

The vowel identification routines will always find the first vowel in a “syllable” that has multiple candidates and align the notes there. Said “syllable” can even contain spaces (i.e. be multiple words), which is especially useful for recitation tones like you’re doing.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

> On Jan 6, 2024, at 3:58 AM, andrew....@gmail.com <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use a reciting tone for Psalms followed by empty brackets instead of repeated notes. For some reason the syllables are separated. How do I stop this happening?
>
> The code
>
> produces
>
> <2024-01-06_21-44.png>
> Thank you,
> Andrew.
>
> --
> Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io
> <2024-01-06_21-44.png>

Andrew Hinkley

Jun 7, 2024, 1:02:58 PMJun 7
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Following up on an older thread, I tried eliminating empty brackets and moving the reciting tone to the end, which worked except that sometimes the sentence spilled over into the right margins. Moving the reciting tone to the end of the word then eliminating empty syllables within words seemed to work, but because GregorioTeX full-justifies words except on the last line, it led to wider spaces between words than I wanted.

Is there a setting in the gsp file or other file I should change to stop the spaces between syllables? From what I can tell my gsp file is identical to what's in the GitHub repository.

Thank you,
Andrew.