abovelinestextraise vs commentaryraise in 6.0

Rob Leduc

Jun 3, 2021, 8:48:30 AM6/3/21
to Gregorio Users

I have some above lines text that I'd like to make the same distance off the staff as the commentary (in that the baseline of these types of texts should be the same).  Thus, I'm trying to understand the specific meaning of the parameters abovelinestextraise vs commentaryraise.

The documentation says that commentaryraise is 'the distance from the text to the top line of the staff' while abovelinestextraise says 'height of the text above the note line', but this doesn't make clear to me why abovelinestextraise has as default -0.1cm and commentaryraise has 0.20cm.

I find it confusing that the default for abovelinestextraise is negative, while that for commentaryraise is positive so I don't understand what reference point is being used in each case.

Is there an easy way to compute the equivalence between these parameters to line up their respective text?

Secondly, it appears that abovelinestext takes into account things that go above the top line, such as a clef c4 while commentaryraise does not.  Is that correct?  I suppose that would obviously have some impact on my problem, if so.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Leduc

Jun 3, 2021, 10:33:16 AM6/3/21
to Gregorio Users

Also, please what is the baseline for the measurement of abovelinestextheight?  Is that from the reference point of the above lines text or from the top of the score or the top line?

Thanks,

Rob

R. Padraic Springuel

Jun 3, 2021, 2:14:10 PM6/3/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been fooling with the code in order to get you some answers, and I think there may be some bugs here. The default values for abovelinestextrasie and commentaryraise appear to be “magic” numbers designed to make things look nice under the default conditions. I’m still trying to figure out why certain things in this area aren’t as I would expect them. I’ll let you know if I can figure out what’s going on.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE