Space staves

Enrico M. Beraudo

Jun 9, 2021, 4:36:17 AM6/9/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for my English. I'm starting to use Gregorio and I need to increase the space between the staves. Can you tell me what the command is? In GregorioRef.pdf I have not found anything. Thank you.

CieMaKat

Jun 9, 2021, 2:38:15 PM6/9/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Hello Enrico,

All distances can be changed with \grechangedim{#1}{#2}{#3} (see section 2.2.4 of GregorioRef)
Then in section 2.4 you have all possible dimensions which can be changed with the command.

The one you may be interested in are spaceabovelines and spacebeneathtextso the command you can start with would be
\grechangedim{spacebeneathtext}{1cm plus 0.5cm minus 0.5cm}{fixed}

(the plus 0.5cm and minus 0.5cm are optional).
Check out GregorioRef for further descriptions. Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Mateusz

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

Enrico M. Beraudo

Jun 10, 2021, 6:09:58 AM6/10/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,
I tried what you indicated (\grechangedim{spacebeneathtext}{3.5mm}{fixed}), but the result is not satisfactory for the print: the space changes, increases, if I use the quarter bar (,).
It's normal?
EMB

CieMaKat

Jun 10, 2021, 7:13:11 AM6/10/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is normal as space beneath text is calculated to the "highest" object of the staff below. The same would happen if you use clef on the 4th line.
I don't know the exact behavior of spaceabovelines, but from the name I suspect it may calculate space based on staff position, not on its objects.

I'm not an expert, so I encourage you to play a bit with the values.

May I know why you need to have staves separated with equal distance? Maybe there's a different approach to do what you need.

Best,
Mateusz

Enrico M. Beraudo

Jun 10, 2021, 11:12:30 AM6/10/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
I figured distances were calculated that way...
I need an exact distance because I am preparing a book to print. I wanted to avoid splitting the file into as many pieces as there are staves to insert them into InDesign.
Thanks for your help.
EMB

CieMaKat

Jun 10, 2021, 4:09:17 PM6/10/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
I bet it is possible to do with gregorio and LaTeX commands, but I don't know how to achieve that.

I don't know how experienced you are with UNIX (linux) systems, but I would personally do this in the following manner:
  1. Define page size to fit only one staff per page
  2. Use pdfseparate to split pages into separate files - https://superuser.com/a/1034450
  3. Join pages with pdfjam - it allows you to control number of staves per page - https://superuser.com/a/750293\
I agree, it is a bit overdo. But hey - if something is stupid, but does the job, then is not stupid :)

Best,
Mateusz

R. Padraic Springuel

Jun 11, 2021, 9:00:31 AM6/11/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
You can force all lines to have uniform spacing with \gresetlinehrightexpansion{uniform}.  Not that this generally does not look good when you have a solitary note which is especially high or low.

✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

Enrico M. Beraudo

Jun 11, 2021, 11:56:50 AM6/11/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,
however, the result is still not the desired one as I hope you can see from the link.

EMB

Lines.PNG

Rob Leduc

Jun 12, 2021, 1:22:15 PM6/12/21
to Gregorio Users
Perhaps you could post a short example of code of what you're trying?  It's not clear why the margins here are so tight.  Perhaps something else needs fixing.

Best wishes,

Rob

Enrico M. Beraudo

Jun 13, 2021, 8:04:30 AM6/13/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com

Here is the code I use:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\usepackage[a4paper,top=37.5mm,bottom=20mm,left=25mm,right=25mm,bindingoffset=7.5mm]{geometry}

\setmainfont{AGaramondPro}[

Path=./Garamond/,

Extension=.otf,

UprightFont=*-Regular,

BoldFont=*-Bold,

ItalicFont=*-Italic,

]

\usepackage[autocompile]{gregoriotex}

\definecolor{gregoriocolor}{cmyk}{0,1,1,0.15}

\grechangestyle{initial}{\fontsize{48}{48}\selectfont}

\thispagestyle{empty}

\begin{document}

\gresetlineheightexpansion{uniform}

\grechangedim{spacebeneathtext}{3.5mm}{fixed}

\fontsize{14}{14}\selectfont

\gregorioscore{prova}

\end{document}

Thank you.

EMB

Rob Leduc

Jun 14, 2021, 12:31:01 PM6/14/21
to Gregorio Users
I tried your code; I don't have your score file "prova", and I don't have the Adobe Garamond font AGaramondPro, so my test is imperfect. I had to remove the \setmainfont command as a result.

However, your code then ran fine with one of my own scores.

Perhaps try commenting out the \setmainfont command as a test to see the problem is related to the font.  Or if you also post your file prova here, I can try on my machine with that chant.