Centering mode

CieMaKat

Sep 19, 2022, 5:40:05 AM9/19/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that the mode is not centered over an initial.

image.png

It looks like there's some indentation added to the mode?
Besides defining font with fontspec's \setmainfont I'm not applying any styling to initial nor mode.
I looked through the Distances section of Gregorio Reference, but couldn't spot anything that may influence the position of the mode.

Is there a way to fix that?

Best regards,
Mateusz

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Sep 23, 2022, 2:04:22 PM9/23/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
This is not the way it’s supposed to work. That annotation should be centered over the initial. Can you provide a MWE which has this problem?

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

> On Sep 19, 2022, at 5:39 AM, CieMaKat <ciem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I noticed that the mode is not centered over an initial.
>
> <image.png>
>
> It looks like there's some indentation added to the mode?
> Besides defining font with fontspec's \setmainfont I'm not applying any styling to initial nor mode.
> I looked through the Distances section of Gregorio Reference, but couldn't spot anything that may influence the position of the mode.
>
> Is there a way to fix that?
>
> Best regards,
> Mateusz
>
> --
> Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

CieMaKat

Sep 23, 2022, 4:10:15 PM9/23/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Hello Father,

I found the problem. To save space I set:
\grechangedim{beforeinitialshift}{0pt}{scalable}

I briefly checked the GregorioRef, but I only managed to find settings related to vertical distances.
So either this is a bug and the centering algorithm should take into account the before initial shift or there's an option, but I couldn't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Mateusz

Matthias Bry

Sep 23, 2022, 4:18:52 PM9/23/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Ooooh that's the problem.
I have been setting beforeinitialshift for ages, because reasons, and centering my annotations semi-manually by adding whitespace in the header capture.
I never made the connection. I feel very, very dumb.

Anyway, yes it would be good if annotation placement took beforeinitialshift into account so that the annotation stays centered on the actual initial.

In Christo,
Matthias

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Sep 24, 2022, 4:53:10 PM9/24/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
That is what is supposed to happen, but clearly you guys are seeing something else so we’ve got a bug to track down. Can one of you provide a simple MWE that makes the problem as obvious as possible? I need a test case to debug against.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gregorio-users/CA%2BKjmK2YS2cetSwJzihCi_e%2BeDO-%2BdNMkmm-3TS%3DUK0ZDzcchg%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthias Bry

Sep 24, 2022, 5:32:54 PM9/24/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Dear Father,

This MWE below works with me. Output of gregorio --version : Gregorio 6.0.0-beta2 (MiKTeX 22.7.30). This is on Windows. The command line is just lualatex --shell-escape $synctexoption $fullname, as you would expect.
The first character of the annotation (7d) i.e. '7' seems centered on the H initial, but the whole '7d' should be.

In Christo,
Matthias

------------
main.tex:
-----------------------

\documentclass[11pt, twoside]{book}

\usepackage[autocompile]{gregoriotex}

\gresetheadercapture{mode}{greannotation}{string}

\grechangedim{afterinitialshift}{2mm}{scalable}

\grechangedim{beforeinitialshift}{0mm}{scalable}

\begin{document}

\gregorioscore{0101N2A2}

\end{document}

0101N2A2.gabc:
mode:7d;
%%
(c3)Ho(ig/ij)mo(i) na(ij)tus(i) est(h) * in(h) e(gh/ffO1e)a,(e) (;) i(hhO1g)pse(f) fun(gh)dá(i)vit(g) e(h)am(f) Al(e)tís(gh)si(f)mus.(e) (::)