Chaining scores without line change

Matthias Bry

Feb 21, 2021, 6:05:17 PM2/21/21
to Gregorio Users
Hello everyone,

I apologize profusely if the question has been asked, I could not find it by searching, although it is very much a beginner's question.

I understand that Gregorio scores are TeX paragraphs and that it should therefore not be possible to have a score begin on the same line that the previous one ended.

Is there any way around this behavior? For instance, inserting "new" score header info (initial, annotations, etc.) in the middle of a gabc file, "resetting" the score?

I would like to replicate more or less exactly what the Liber Usualis does with antiphons in the proper of saints, e.g. https://gregobase.selapa.net/sources/3/1946.png

Many thanks in advance,
Matthias

Rob Leduc

Mar 1, 2021, 9:26:44 AM3/1/21
to Gregorio Users
As a rookie, my understanding is that Gregorio is going to force a new paragraph and there is nothing you can do about that.

What you could do, which may be difficult or for other reasons inadvisable, is to change how LaTeX behaves at a new paragraph.

That's getting pretty far out of my expertise, but the thread below may give some light.  You may need to end up temporarily changing \par, (and maybe? \parskip, \parindent) for a block of chants.  Obviously not something you'd want to do globally, but might work if you enclose the whole thing in a group.  It may depend on how Gregorio forces the new paragraph, as well.

This doesn't cover exactly your situation, but has the similar goal of avoiding a paragraph.

Rob

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Mar 1, 2021, 10:38:20 AM3/1/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
> On 1 Mar, 2021, at 9:26 AM, Rob Leduc <rled...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As a rookie, my understanding is that Gregorio is going to force a new paragraph and there is nothing you can do about that.
>
> What you could do, which may be difficult or for other reasons inadvisable, is to change how LaTeX behaves at a new paragraph.
>
> That's getting pretty far out of my expertise, but the thread below may give some light. You may need to end up temporarily changing \par, (and maybe? \parskip, \parindent) for a block of chants. Obviously not something you'd want to do globally, but might work if you enclose the whole thing in a group. It may depend on how Gregorio forces the new paragraph, as well.
>
> This doesn't cover exactly your situation, but has the similar goal of avoiding a paragraph.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1311991/latex-avoid-new-paragraph

Even if you did something like this, you couldn’t get GregorioTeX to do what you wanted. Currently the staff lines are printed at the beginning of each line and they always span that entire line. There is no way to interrupt them in the middle of the line as the linked style requires.

Well, not no way, but the one way that allows you isn’t going to be useful here. The one thing that allows the lines to not span the full page is to encapsulate the score in a minipage environment. This fools GregorioTeX into thinking the page is smaller than it actually is and, since LaTeX treats minipage environments like an overlarge character, allows you to put two scores on the same line. We discuss this in one of our Tips’n’Tricks on the website: http://gregorio-project.github.io/tips/shortscore.html

The reason this isn’t useful for this style, is because it would require that the two partial lines (last from one score and first from another) be separate scores to which the above named trick is applied. This means that the first score in the chain becomes 2 scores (one for the start and one for the last, partial, line), scores in the middle are split into 3 (the partial first line, the body, and the partial last line), and the last score in the chain is 2 or 3 (the partial first, the body, and if you want the last line to not go to the margin, then the partial last line). Furthermore, each transition has to be manually tuned in terms of width and content of the two pieces. So, it could be done, but it would be a whole lot of work.

I do have plans to explore another way of drawing the staff lines which might allow this to happen (along with enabling several other features) but that work won’t come until after 6.0 is finalized.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

Matthias Bry

Mar 1, 2021, 11:46:48 AM3/1/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rob, hello Fr. Samuel,

Thanks for your responses. Indeed using three minipages per score (two
for the first one) seems to be the only solution. I am ready to wait a
few years for this new feature, even though I will avait it eagerly,
because I am not ready to code the splitter (automatically running
gregorio once or twice to get the first split, then once more to get
the last split, generating the three files and the minipages)
especially if there is another solution in the pipe, however far away
in the queue.

God bless you

Matthias