Gregorio GABC for a critical edition?

Matthew Jarvis

Jun 21, 2024, 7:57:42 AM (7 days ago) Jun 21
to Gregorio Users
Hello,

Does anyone know if Gregorio GABC notation can be used to make a critical edition of a chant, i.e. with multiple staves showing variant melodies all aligned over a single text?

If not, is there any other software that can do this?

So far, I’ve only seen critical editions use modern notation, as in the work of Theodore Karl.

Many thanks,

Fr Matthew Jarvis OP

Matthias Bry

Jun 21, 2024, 8:13:22 AM (7 days ago) Jun 21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Fr. Matthew,

This is not easily achieved with Gregorio. GABC is expressive enough to capture the necessary transcribed material, but Gregorio renders GABC into a Latex paragraph, whereas a Latex table would be far more appropriate to render a critical edition with vertically aligned notes. While not impossible, Gregorio would require profound modifications to be able to do so. Antiphonale Synopticum / Graduale Synopticum is a critical edition with square notes, you might want to ask them about their software stack. See e.g. http://gregorianik.uni-regensburg.de/an/#id/5

In Christo,
Matthias Bry

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

Innocent Smith

Jun 22, 2024, 9:32:32 AM (6 days ago) Jun 22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fr Matthew,

I'm not sure that Gregorio can do this on its own, but one approach you could take would be to produce individual scores with Gregorio and then use Adobe Illustrator or Acrobat to manually align multiple staves over a single text. I'll be curious to hear if anyone else has more efficient solutions...

fr Innocent

maxp...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2024, 9:44:41 AM (6 days ago) Jun 22
to Gregorio Users
I’d be very curious to see if there’s any software to automate similar effort. I’ve been told “from the source” that Antiphonae and Grasuale Synopticum were all created manually, so each staff generated separately and then aligned in a graphical editor. It’s an awful lot of work, to say the least.

If Gregorio was expanded to allow this, or there’s any way to develop this, that would be a huge advantage and great support for all researchers. I’m dying to see something similar.

Jeffrey Trimble

Jun 23, 2024, 3:22:19 PM (4 days ago) Jun 23
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Most publishers (Music and otherwise) will engrave the music and save the file as a pdf and then drop it into the master file that is Adobe's Indesign (or Quark Xpress).

Having engraved music editions (including hymnals), I will engrave the music without margins (the score/staff) it has no left margin or right margin, taking into account the size of the master .indd file.  So if the master is set on a 6 x 9 hymnal, and the margins are appropriately set (~.44in--we use pica for spacing), then the engrave score is only 5.125 in. wide.  The length, depending on the header and footer is default to 7.25, but always changed so there is minimal margins (.15 in at top, and .25 in at bottom).  Title headings, and extra stanzas and other verbiage (such as hymn tune, metre, credits) are set using Indesign text blocks.

So, Gregorio can generate files without margins that can be incorporated into the master file.  Which is what I would recommend--one has way more control over all aspects of the look and feel.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey A. Trimble
Organist
St. Joseph Parish Community
79 Case Ave
Sharon, PA 16146

Matthias Bry

Jun 23, 2024, 3:55:23 PM (4 days ago) Jun 23
to gregori...@googlegroups.com, Dominique CROCHU
Hello Jeffrey, I'm not too sure if you are answering the email you wanted to answer.

To follow up on the discussion, since the intricacies of proper typesetting are not essential for critical editions, it would perhaps be easier for this feature to be added to something like Exsurge.js (which has the advantage of being free as in freedom), or scrib.io (which has the advantage of supporting NABC which is essential for critical editions), rather than Gregorio itself.

The Nocturnale Project is of course interested in the idea, what about our friends at Repertorium? => cc D. Crochu.

Matthias