puncta mora placement: an observation

Matthew Roth

Mar 24, 2024, 5:03:37 PMMar 24
to Gregorio Users
I was reminded of this thread from last month when preparing for Tenebrae. In the responsory Plange sung on Holy Saturday, there is a punctum followed by a dot. The dot is to the right of the note, because the following note is lower, so there's room for it. Gregorio follows this, but the dot is more centered in the Solesmes books, so there's more daylight to the right. This is probably an extreme example because of the nature of the figure, with a podatus quilisma, and this is not a complaint or feature request per se, just an observation…

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 15.51.49.pngScreenshot 2024-03-24 at 16.01.19.png

Matthias Bry

Mar 27, 2024, 10:37:28 AMMar 27
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
The default behavior of gregoriotex could be smarter, by detecting the note on the right of the dot, and centering the dot between the two noteheads at K height, at the expense of complication and/or the risk of breaking other cases where it works "well enough". Also, I argue that the Solesmes typesetting of clivis+quilisma-pes is not very good, since it uses a vertical bar to join the first two notes, that is artificially made "diagonal" to fit the dot.
In any case, I firmly believe that using the mora dot in this specific instance is plain wrong and the note should be episemated instead: k_i!jwk . If someone has insight as to why Gajard & co did not settle on the horizontal episema for this specific case, I'm interested.

Matthias

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 15.51.49.pngScreenshot 2024-03-24 at 16.01.19.png

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io
Message has been deleted