Final request for local government data to help update holiday waste statistic

Kelley

Sep 22, 2021, 11:28:26 AM9/22/21
to GreenYes
**Sorry for Cross Postings**

The Center for Biological Diversity is updating this often-cited stat “Between Thanksgiving and the New Year, American households generate 25% more waste than usual” that is used in our Simplify the Holidays campaign.

We have a number of local governments sharing their data from across the country but would love more so we can aggregate the info and build a national statistic. In general, we are asking for 2017, 2018 and 2019 data for trash/bulk items, recycling, yard waste/Christmas trees, food composting and other special collections like electronics waste, wrapping paper, etc.

We are cleaning the data for consistency so there is no need to put it in a special format. Our goal is to finish the analysis before Halloween. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you in advance,
Kelley Dennings
Center for Biological Diversity