An attack on multi-modal transportation in N. Seattle

Lee Bruch

Sep 1, 2021, 1:29:32 PM9/1/21
to Greenwood-Phinney Greenways Google Group, Licton-Haller Greenways Google Group, ARC Google Group
Although this article is specifically about Metro Route 40 from downtown through Fremont, Ballard, Crown Hill, North Greenwood, & Licton Springs to Northgate, it really is about an attack on multi-modal transportation and SDOT.

We all need to make it clear to all of our electeds that we refuse to give up non-motorized space such as sidewalks, nor relegate transit and non-motorized traffic to secondary status. It has implications far beyond Route 40.
Route 40 had the third most riders of any bus in the county pre-pandemic. Running from Downtown Seattle through South Lake Union to the Fremont Bridge, up Leary Way to the heart of Ballard, through Crown Hill, Greenwood and terminating at Northgate, the route is identified as one of seven priority corridors to upgrade to RapidRide-level of service by Seattle’s Transit Master Plan and the ...

Lee Bruch

    206-355-4282 cell & text

    Lee....@outlook.com

Ryan DiRaimo

Sep 1, 2021, 4:22:52 PM9/1/21
to greenwood-phi...@googlegroups.com, Licton-Haller Greenways Google Group, ARC Google Group
Eugene opposed the self storage moratorium on Aurora and the subsequent rezoning of Aurora too. Even used the same language then as he does now. "You just want a bunch of expensive apartments for Amazon corporate workers here", was his line, I believe.

If I'm not mistaken he opposed the bus only lanes for the E line as well.

Douglas MacDonald

Sep 1, 2021, 5:27:10 PM9/1/21
to Licton-Haller Greenways Google Group, ARC Google Group, Greenwood-Phinney Greenways Google Group
I totally agree with Lee, with this slight but important friendly edit (below) or clarification's sake. I do not take the view that “shared use” sidewalks have any place in a walkable city and especially in anything like what has been an Urban Village, or whatever that concept may in future encompass in a new Comp Plan,

We all need to make it clear to all of our electeds that we refuse to give up non-motorized space such as pedestrians’ sidewalks, nor relegate transit and non-motorized traffic to secondary status. It has implications far beyond Route 40.

I was on a “shared use” sidewalk yesterday around 5:00 pm in Mountlake accommodating the bridge closure. It is a conflict nightmare.

Begin forwarded message:

Bruce Sherman

Sep 5, 2021, 11:19:56 PM9/5/21
to greenwood-phi...@googlegroups.com, Licton-Haller Greenways Google Group, ARC Google Group
So, the same people who have been stopping the Burke Gilman trail are now trying to block better transit.

The crocodile tears are just amazing. The cement company that claims their trucks can’t cross the trail have a yard that all of their trucks go to at the end of every load to collect waste cement. Many times a day. It crosses the trail at both the entrance and the exit to the yard. And, just how will these poor cement trucks get out of Ballard if they can’t cross the trail?

As far as the bus-only lane on Leary is concerned, this will mostly impact the stretches that have parking now. In other words, much of Leary is already one driving lane, so it’s hard to see why restricting the whole thing to one lane is going to significantly impact traffic. As the article says, why do this just so an Amazon worker can get to South Lake Union faster? Well, thousands of workers time 5 minutes vs 1 cement truck that takes 60 seconds longer to get to its destination. No brainer.

Bruce