Historic Arcata Bottom Bike Tour THIS Sunday at 2pm!

Green Wheels

Oct 9, 2012, 12:06:53 AM10/9/12
to green...@googlegroups.com
Green Wheelers -

Come join us for a fun group ride this Sunday - an Historic Arcata Bottom Bike Tour - this coming Sunday, October 14 at 2pm from the NEC office/Greenway Building at 8th and N Streets in Arcata.

See below for the full announcement. Hope you can join us!

Historic Arcata Bottom Bike Tour

Does it feel the summertime has rushed past you? No need to fret - the fall is the best time for bicycling on the North Coast, and Green Wheels has a historic ride planned for us all to fall back in time.

The Humboldt Bay area and the Arcata Bottom have a rich history – the convergence of many cultures, dramatic land use and agricultural changes, and shifting transportation modes. Ever wonder how the ‘Mad River Slough’ got its name? Have you pondered the history of the line of old barns out along Samoa Boulevard?

Come discover these mysteries and more as Green Wheels and renowned local historians invite you on a bicycle and history tour of the Arcata Bottom on Sunday, October 14, 2012. We will start the ride at 2 p.m. from the NEC/Green Wheels office in the Greenway Building at 8th and N Streets in Arcata. As we will pedal our way to multiple sites along the route, we will meet local experts to learn about the incredible history of the landscape and people of the Arcata Bottom.

This will be a fun guided group ride suitable for all people interested in biking and learning about the history of their community. Families are welcome and encouraged! Bring your helmet and some water to safely enjoy the flat, 8 mile route throughout the Arcata Bottom.

Come ride back in time with Green Wheels to rediscover your community’s history with an eye towards the past and wheels toward the future.