Zero-Carbon Electricity Workgroup

Aileen

May 22, 2013, 2:06:38 AM5/22/13
to GreenMountainView
Dear friends,
I have been contacted by some people working on a local zero-waste
group, and one of their focus points is zero-carbon electricity.

Although in Mountain View we don't have the luxury of city-provided
utilities, there are some ways that our residents can help move us
towards a zero-carbon goal.

If anyone in Green Mountain View is interested in leading a group
which would possibly focus on some of the following areas, please
contact me and I'll put you in touch with the relevant people who are
spearheading this project.

Cheers,
Aileen

<excerpt from email thread>

5) Form a local group that:
a. encourages individuals to do steps 1-4 below
b. publicizes a goal of a 60% reduction in 10 years
c. gets educated about electricity emissions and the new
energy economy
d. helps coordinate community solar projects -
potentially through city-hall
e. puts pressure on PG&E to supply power that's at least
50% carbon-free to your community
f. lobbies PG&E to implement a feed-in-tariff program
g. lobbies your state legislators to ask for a 50% RPS by
2020
h. encourages individuals and businesses to calculate
their carbon footprint (via web-based calculators)
i. encourages individuals to be air-aware

1) Buy an electric car
2) Install solar on your roof
3) Buy into a community solar project
4) Buy a heat pump water heater and/or furnace particularly if
you've done 2) or 3)