Save the Date: Fruit School (26-27 April)

GVLocal Foods

Mar 12, 2014, 4:46:53 PM3/12/14
to greenbrier-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fellow Farmers and Local Food Lovers--
We hope that this email finds you well.
The Greenbrier Valley Local Foods Initiative is partnering with Professor Barkslip's Fruit School (an annual tradition in the Asheville, North Carolina area) to bring the infamous Fruit School to the Greenbrier Valley.
Whether you are a farmer, gardener, lover of fruit, amateur botanist, or interested beginner, please mark your calendar for this unforgettable event (and if you hope to attend, please let us know and watch your email for the Early Bird Registration special). Thank you!

Barkslip's Fruit School in the Greenbrier Valley

Spring 2014

"Breed your need"

with Luther Burbank

April 26 & 27 10:00-5:00

If you breed your need and weed the seed. You will lead your creed, and your deed will feed.

Unfortunately Professor Barkslip is on sebattical this year and will be unable to teach Fruit School. It is a delight to announce that Luther Burbank will be teaching in his stead. This year Mr Burbank broadens the vision of fruit school by weaving the principles he learned over his 40 years of being a plant developer into the core curriculum of Fruit school. He sees that all that is taught in fruit school can easily be translated into the basics of fruit improvement, as well as general fruit care, and that the two are inextricably linked. "A single plant can change an industry and improve the lives of millions," notes Mr Burbank, and this is an extremely exciting prospect.  This is most notably exemplified by his famous seedling potato (known now as the Idaho Russet) and 1000's of other of his unique creations. "If you want a plant that is low maintanence and serves your specific tastes- simply create it."

No longer is it "enough" to conform to convention. There is nothing "status" about the "quo" of  nature. If we are to thrive in a world of change, we must fortify ourselves  with diversity. Each one of us expressing our individual nature in all measures. Professor B

(More information about Professor B and his work at www.barkslip.com)