No Nukes Swing Release Party - August 7, 2011!

The Silver Nightingale

Jul 27, 2011, 12:30:44 AM7/27/11
to Trash2T...@googlegroups.com, green-leagu...@googlegroups.com, florida-safe-and-susta...@googlegroups.com
Dear Environmental Friends,
I would greatly appreciate if you would pass along the info about my
"No Nukes Swing" Release Party to your networks!

SILVER NIGHTINGALE NEWS!

Table of Contents

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
1. NO NUKES SWING RELEASE PARTY - AUGUST 7, 2011!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

July 2011

Dear Friends, Fans, Family and Members of the Press,

Please join me for a special afternoon of music, poetry and
environmental info at my "No Nukes Swing" Release Party - Sunday,
August 7, 2011 from 2 - 5 PM.

Radio-Active Records in Fort Lauderdale is living up to its name, and
hosting the Release Party for "No Nukes Swing". One might call it an
Atomic Release Party! "No Nukes Swing" is my folk-rock anthem calling
for an end to the use of nuclear power and weapons around the world,
The "No Nukes Swing" Release Party is scheduled in conjunction with the
66th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.

Performers joining me at the Release Party will include my great
musician friends Teri Catlin, Ramon Justicia, Felicia Rose, Jim Ryan,
Jon Singer, and Special Guests. Poetry will be performed by Lenny
DellaRocca, myself and more. Musical offerings will be diverse,
including rock, jazz, world, new age, classical and blues genres, and
originals by the artists.

This is a free event, open to all ages, and is a benefit for NIRS
(Nuclear Information and Resource Service - www.nirs.org) - one of the
many great environmental groups I support. All donations collected at
the Release Party will go to NIRS to further their important work;
information about NIRS and other environmental groups will be available
at the Release Party.

Why release this previously-unreleased song now? Because we are living
in seriously wacky times! As a result of the Fukushima disaster, we've
got radioactive beef on the market in Japan, and radioactive organic
vegetables in California; meanwhile goats' milk in Connecticut is
radioactive from Indian Point Nuclear Plant. It's hard to believe that
utility companies are still saying that nuclear power is safe and
clean! But with huge profits to be made, what have they got to lose by
lying? What we ALL have to lose is our health, and possibly the future
of life on earth. With so much at stake, it's the perfect time for 'No
Nukes Swing'!"

"No Nukes Swing" is a lighthearted sing-along, which explores the
issues of nuclear plants, proliferation and bombs, with the catchy
refrain: "No Nukes in my coffee, No Nukes in my tea, No Nukes in my
backyard, That's just a little too close for me!"

I composed "No Nukes Swing" in 1978, and the song has been performed
countless times by myself and many other musicians, and even a choir,
around the country at nuclear plants, demonstrations, concerts and
festivals. "No Nukes Swing" is part of the "Solar Power Suite", which
also includes my original "Salute to the Sun", from my CD "Sarabande -
Solo Flute Meditations".

I started performing "No Nukes Swing" more actively again in 2006, when
I learned that FPL, Progress Energy and other utilities were actively
trying to build new nuclear plants in Florida and around the country,
after several decades of no new nuclear construction following the
Three Mile Island nuclear accident.

At the same time, I created the Nuclear Free Zone on my website:
http://www.SilverNightingale.com/nuclearfree.html - a large and
evolving collection of information and links to organizations working
on nuclear and other environmental issues. I've also been compiling a
comprehensive directory of the many nuclear references in animated
classic The Simpsons: http://www.SilverNightingale.com/simpsons.html

I've been following the nuclear situation at Fukushima closely since
the earthquake and tsunami, greatly concerned about the devastating
consequences of ongoing massive radiation releases on the Japanese
people and the world. I'm encouraged to see that Germany, Switzerland,
Italy and Japan are now rapidly moving towards a nuclear-free future.
But since even the nuclear disaster at Fukushima has not discouraged
many companies and countries (including the one I live in) from
continuing to pursue nuclear power, I decided it was time to make "No
Nukes Swing" available worldwide.

Beginning on August 6, 2011, "No Nukes Swing" can be downloaded at
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/LauraSuetheSilverNightingale, and will be
available shortly after that on iTunes and other outlets. The date
August 6 was chosen to coincide with the 66th Anniversary of the atomic
bombing of Hiroshima.

My most recent recording, a flute and chime rendition of the
traditional Japanese folk song "Sakura" was released on April 26, 2011,
in conjunction with the 25 Anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear
meltdown. I recorded "Sakura" in support for and empathy with the
Japanese people, and will be performing it at the Release Party, in
tribute to the victims of Hiroshima and Fukushima, past, present and
future.

"No Nukes Swing" was recorded in Boston in 1981 with an all-star,
all-women's band including Jean Fineberg (Laura Nyro - Season of
Lights, David Bowie - Golden Years, Sister Sledge - "We are Family") on
sax, Betsy Rose on piano and vocals, Barbara Dunn Shaw on guitar and
vocals, Abby Shearer on guitar, Jane Rhodes on bass, Sharon McGuire on
drums, and Laura Sue on vocals, flute, percussion and production. The
recording was engineered by multi-instrumentalist Roma Baran (an
Academy Award nominee who has produced numerous Laurie Anderson albums,
as well as playing with Rosalie Sorrels and Kate McGarrigle among
others) and Karen Kane.

Radio-Active Records is an active supporter of my community service
work, and has donated more CDs to my hospice music and other projects
over the years than all other donors combined! I'm so stoked to be
holding my Release Party there!

Read on for the event details!

* * * * * * * * * *
2. THE GIGS!
* * * * * * * * * *

Sunday, August 7, 2011
"No Nukes Swing" Release Party featuring Laura Sue, the Silver
Nightingale
From Hiroshima to Fukushima
at Radio-Active Records
A Benefit for NIRS
Musicians will include Laura Sue, the Silver Nightingale, Teri Catlin,
Ramon Justicia, Felicia Rose, Jim Ryan, Jon Singer and Special Guests.
Poetry will be performed by Lenny DellaRocca, Laura Sue and more.
2 - 5 PM
Free Admission, All Ages welcome
Donations will be collected for NIRS - Nuclear Information and Resource
Service - www.nirs.org
Radio-Active Records, 1930 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304,
954.762.9488
www.Radio-Active-Records.com

Sunday, August 14, 2011
Sunday Service
Center for Spiritual Living
10:30 AM Service
Music by Laura Sue, the Silver Nightingale
Message by Rev. Barbara Lunde
2 S.W. 12th Avenue, Boca Raton, 33486
All are welcome!
http://www.somboca.com/

Thursday, September 15, 2011
Fourth Annual Trash-2-Art Exhibit - Grand Opening!
ArtServe, 1350 East Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale
Presented by Trash to Treasure
Music by Laura Sue, the Silver Nightingale and Shotgun Wedding
Free, Open to the Public
This is a very cool event, presented by one of my favorite
environmental non-profits. I'm honored to be playing at the Exhibit
Opening for the fourth year!
http://www.trash2treasurefl.org

Sunday, October 9, 2011
Hospice of Gold Coast Annual Memorial Service
2 PM
Details TBA
I'm very honored to be playing at this wonderful memorial event for the
17th year!

plus my usual complement of weddings, private parties, etc! Please
check my website schedule regularly for the most up-to-date gig
announcements!

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
3. SILVER NIGHTINGALE ON FACEBOOK
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

If you're on Facebook (or even if you're not), you can now visit and
Like my Silver Nightingale music page here:
http://www.facebook.com/The.Silver.Nightingale

My website will always be action central for my music news, so please
check my schedule there whenever you want to know where I'm playing,
plus lots of other special info not available anywhere else. However I
will also be posting special tidbits, photos, factoids and of course my
gig news on Facebook, so there will be special content there that's not
available anywhere else too!

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
4. SILVER NIGHTINGALE RECEIVES SILVER PRESIDENT'S AWARD!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

I recently received the 2011 President's Volunteer Service Award -
Silver Level for my hundreds of hours of hospice music played. Pretty
cool, and a complete surprise! My long-term hospice collaborator
Hospice of Gold Coast arranged for me to receive this award, which came
with a lovely silver pin and a gold-embossed certificate signed by
President Obama. I was quite thrilled and very touched to receive this
award. More information on the President's Volunteer Service Awards can
be found here:
http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
5. AGAINST THE LAW
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Against the Law" is another one of my originals recorded at the same
session as "No Nukes Swing". A gay rights rock song, "Against the Law"
was recently released internationally on the prestigious "Songs of War
and Politics - Volume 1" compilation CD by Folk Alliance International.
This is a wonderful project whose proceeds will provide musical
instruments to returning combat veterans. Other artists on the CD
include the late Hazel Dickens, Eliza Gilkyson and Tom Neilson. We used
to play Hazel and Alice records on our college radio show, and I'm
elated to have one of my songs on a CD with the legendary Ms. Dickens!
"Songs of War and Politics" can be downloaded at
http://flink.livedownloads.com/show.asp?show=5958, as well as iTunes.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
6. SWEET SILVER NIGHTINGALE MERCHANDISE
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Sarabande - Solo Flute Meditations” CDs are now back in stock! To
order, please send a check/money order for $15 plus $2 S/H per CD,
along with your name, mailing address, e-mail address and phone number
to:

Laura Sue Wilansky
The Silver Nightingale
PO Box 24245
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33307-4245

Please make checks/money orders to Laura Sue Wilansky.

My CD "Sarabande - Solo Flute Meditations", "No Nukes Swing", and my
new recording of "Sakura" are all available at CD Baby:
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/LauraSuetheSilverNightingale

Silver Nightingale CDs make great holiday and birthday gifts for
yourself, your friends, your local spiritual group, school, healing
center, fire station, library, massage therapist, dentist, soldier,
peace activist, USO, and anyone else who can use some peaceful,
uplifting energy in their day! So buy a bunch and give them to all your
friends and local institutions!

Although I have completed The Year of 51 Nightingales, my peace work
continues, and my beautiful 51 Nightingales Peace Passes are still
available! For a wide variety of peace resources, I invite you to visit
the 51 Nightingales section of my website at
http://www.SilverNightingale.com.

I have been enjoying getting my song "No Nukes Swing" out to the world,
just a few (30) years after I first recorded it! Among other people and
places, I have sent copies to Jackson Browne, Graham Nash (via his son
Will) and an Assistant Secretary at the Department of Energy (via a
friend of a friend of my sister). If you have any contacts or
suggestions for other influential people to send my song to, please let
me know! If you are an environmental activist, and would like a free
non-commercial copy of my “No Nukes Swing”/“Solar Power Suite” to use
in your work, please write me at Laur...@SilverNightingale.com. For
more environmental information and links to a lot of great places to
study this issue, please visit my personal Nuclear Free Zone section of
my website at http://www.SilverNightingale.com.

A few of the Florida outlets who have been selling my CDs have moved or
gone out of business, I've also started selling CDs at some new
locations, so check my website for up to date info on my CD vendors and
all things Nightingale!

A big thanks to those of you who have written glowing reviews of my
“Sarabande - Solo Flute Meditations” CD and "Sakura" on my CD Baby site
at http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/LauraSuetheSilverNightingale! I
encourage the rest of you to do the same! If you recommend my CD to
your friends (and I know many of you do!), why not take a few moments
to share your thoughts with the world?

http://www.SilverNightingale.com - Official Universal Headquarters for
all things Nightingale!

If you wish to communicate directly with the Planet of the Silver
Nightingales or subscribe to this newsletter, please send a message to
Laur...@SilverNightingale.com!

My website is available 24/7 at http://www.SilverNightingale.com.
My permanent voice mail number is 954/941-4645, call anytime!
My e-mail address is Laur...@SilverNightingale.com.
My mailing address is:
Laura Sue Wilansky
The Silver Nightingale
PO Box 24245
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33307-4245

You have received this e-mail because you either a) signed my mailing
list, b) are an old friend, c) or relative, d) or member of the media,
e) or expressed an interest in my music, f) or receive the South
Florida folk listserve, JAM listserve, Trash to Treasure, Florida Safe
and Sustainable Energy Campaign or Green League listserve, g) or hired
me to play a gig, or h) are someone I hope will hire me for a gig, or
i) you're just plain lucky.

PLEASE don't forward jokes, virus warnings, fund appeals or petitions
to me. Most of these are hoaxes or expired. Before forwarding things to
anyone, it's a great idea to check hoax info sites like:
http://www.symantec.com/
http://www.mcafee.com/
http://www.snopes.com/

Also, PLEASE, no E-cards, MP3-grams, etc. which require you to give my
e-mail address to a third party company. Companies like this collect
e-mail addresses and sell them to spammers, so when you give someone's
e-mail address to a company, you are giving them the gift of spam for
life.

I love personal notes from fans, though, and do my best to answer every
e-mail.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end!

Peace, Love and Harmony,
Laura Sue, the Silver Nightingale

* Flute Fusion * from The Silver Nightingale
2011 President's Volunteer Service Award
(--<*>---(-o-o-o-`---o-o-o-(0-ooo-()
http://www.SilverNightingale.com
Silver Nightingale Nuclear Free Zone
http://www.SilverNightingale.com/nuclearfree.html
New recording! Sakura - Music for Meditation for Japan
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/LauraSuetheSilverNightingale
Against the Law - Songs of War and Politics CD
http://www.festivalink.net

“Our nuclear plants are like snowflakes, they're all different and they
can all melt.” - A former NRC commissioner, "Atomic Snowflakes", The
Atlantic Magazine