Cryostat adjustments

Ciancio, Nicholas Preston

Dec 7, 2021, 2:42:12 PM12/7/21
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I wanted to ask if anyone had collected any data on changing Cryostat temperatures when not in use or even shutting them down when not in use. One of our labs is interested in doing either to help save energy, but we haven’t collected any information from any labs that have done either action. The PI is willing to take action by unplugging the cryostat or changing the setpoint when not in use, but they wanted to see data prior to implementing any changes. Does anyone have any experience with collecting this information or have any anecdotal evidence indicating whether or not this would be a wise decision? Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Nick Ciancio

Nick Ciancio, LEED Green Associate | Sustainability Program Coordinator

UAB Sustainability

UAB | The University of Alabama at Birmingham

P: 205.975.4038 | ncia...@uab.edu
M: 205.532.2120

Barry Reid

Dec 7, 2021, 2:50:41 PM12/7/21
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
We did some work on this a few years ago in the UK… Bright instruments had a n+1
System that allowed the compressors to alternate…  you are also best to try and use a Cryostat where the chuck head sits below the frost line… otherwise the sample is warmer than the knife and it won’t cut properly… but also because you’ll have to keep stopping to attach the insulated lids to allow the chamber to pull back down again (the older Leicas seemed to suffer from this).

I must still have some of the data somewhere - I’ll try to find it.

Regards,

B.

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Dec 2021, at 19:42, Ciancio, Nicholas Preston <ncia...@uab.edu> wrote:

** Please remember to change the subject header if you change topics **
---

Ciancio, Nicholas Preston

Dec 8, 2021, 11:54:07 AM12/8/21
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for investigating this, Barry!

Jennifer Ballew

Dec 8, 2021, 12:13:09 PM12/8/21
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick!

This was something that I really wanted to implement at MIT, as you can imagine once you start metering equipment it turns out cryostats are really terribly inefficient… Keeping very cold temperatures in not very well insulated conditions. I can go dig through a hard drive if you need any data on the energy used.

The issue that lab members tended to have with the thought was that if you turn the cryostat off, the lab member has to undergo a pretty rigorous disinfectant process to ensure that the biological samples they place in the chamber won’t be contaminated with anything that might grow in the ambient conditions.

I had luck convincing one lab there to change the temperature to 4°C, and I had always done this with the cryostat in my lab I worked in at Harvard, but unfortunately I don’t have any data as to the energy savings or the experience of the lab users for either of those cases. Sorry!

Jen Ballew

** Please remember to change the subject header if you change topics **
---
"Waste not the smallest thing created, for grains of sand make mountains, and atomies infinity." -E. Knight

Ciancio, Nicholas Preston

Dec 9, 2021, 4:05:21 PM12/9/21
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hey Jen!

I appreciate you providing your anecdotal evidence and the work that you were able to accomplish with one lab at MIT—I think changing the setpoint to 4°C isn’t too much to ask, especially since this lab is interested in turning the equipment off. I’ll relay your information to them.

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you were able to provide some of the metering data you collected from cryostats. Thanks for offering to share that information!