In search of genchem teach lab examples where experiments done without fume hoods or snorkels

Kathryn Ann Ramirez Aguilar

Nov 27, 2023, 8:33:49 PM11/27/23
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hi Green Labs Planning Group,

I am looking for examples of introductory chemistry and general chemistry teaching labs in higher ed where there is only one or two fume hoods in a teaching lab (for experiment stock chemicals) but where experiments are done by students out on the bench without each student using their own fume hoods, snorkels, or ductless fume hoods?  I remember this article from long ago about Univ. of Oregon’s organic chemistry teaching labs: https://www.djc.com/news/en/11135656.html where green chemistry helped Univ of Oregon minimize the number of hoods in their organic chemistry teaching labs.

Do you happen to know any names of universities, colleges, or community colleges where this is the case?

Many thanks for any suggestions you can make.

Kathy

Kathryn A. Ramirez-Aguilar, Ph.D.

CU Green Labs Program Manager (she/her/hers)

Facilities Management/Environmental Center

University of Colorado Boulder

colorado.edu/ecenter/greenlabs

207 UCB, Boulder, Colorado 80309

T  303 859 2068, kram...@colorado.edu

Traditional Cheyenne, Arapahoe & Ute territory

Board member, International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories (I2SL)

I2SL & My Green Lab launch Million Advocates for Sustainable Science to drive change with research funders

Check out this article in The Scientist and this webcast by Nature on greening labs

Writing a grant proposal?  Stand out by including efficiency & sustainability: www.i2sl.org/betrgrants