Lab coats reusable vs disposable

anu verma

May 19, 2022, 6:17:49 PM5/19/22
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
I would like to know what kind of lab coats are being used in histopathology labs elsewhere, reusable or disposable. Is it wise only to look at the cost side of using disposables or should we even consider the environment?
Our lab just switched to disposable lab coats!!
What is better!!
Hope to hear some answers!!
Anu Verma
Loyola university medical center

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Lee, Gail

May 19, 2022, 9:00:26 PM5/19/22
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Hi! In all cases we’ve seen, washable linens use less water and energy that the life cycle assessment of disposables.  Use of durable goods in most cases are more environmental responsible.

May 19, 2022, 10:53:46 PM5/19/22
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
In the ‘wet lab’ we used full lab coat… weight is an issue… heavy enough to protect against splashes but light enough that people want to use them… is the microtomy side we used a shorter ‘chefs white’ style… as it only needed to protect against paraffin wax… it made people WANT to wear them - which is half the battle.. also invest in sexy safety spex…. “Wrap around Boas”… for the same reason - if people want to wear them - it isn’t a chore!

B.

Sent from my iPhone

anu verma

May 20, 2022, 6:09:50 AM5/20/22
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Barry. Are you talking about reusable coats or disposable? Disposable coats gets incinerated and add to the emissions. I am wondering what the best options are for coats.
Anu

Barry Reid

May 20, 2022, 6:19:34 AM5/20/22
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Yes… we always prefer reusable labs coats… we only use disposables for highly infectious work… even then it tends to be disposable apron, cuffs or in some SPF units Tyvek suits…

I would suggest autoclaving linen lab coats if using BSL2+ Pathogens - before sending them for washing… make sure the autoclave is set up for doing porous loads.

B.

Sent from my iPhone