ULT Energy Meters

Yazbek, Lindsey

Jan 3, 2024, 12:28:18 PMJan 3
to Digest recipients

Hi all,

Hope you had a relaxing break!

I am looking to meter some ULT freezers. Does anyone have an energy meter/method they suggest? I can find meters for 120V equipment, but it has been hard to find a plug-in meter for 240V equipment. Any suggestions on how to properly meter a 240V piece of equipment? From what I can find, without a plug-in meter it becomes more complicated. My next step is to talk to our electricians.

Thank you in advance!

Lindsey Yazbek (she/her), Green Labs Coordinator
The University of Texas at Austin | Environmental Health and Safety | 512-232-2758Green Labs Website

Ciancio, Nicholas Preston

Jan 3, 2024, 12:31:53 PMJan 3
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lindsey,

We’re just started on this journey ourselves! Because we intend on metering a variety of different freezers that are quite old (and run the risk of failing if they are unplugged), we’re going with some meters with Elemental Machines. We received them in late December and intend on setting them up very soon. From what I’ve read regarding its set-up, I don’t think it’s going to be too complicated to set up. Perhaps someone else has had more experience & can share it?

I’ll make sure to reach out and let you know our experience (setting up, data, etc.) once we’ve crossed that bridge.

Best Regards,

Nick Ciancio

Nick Ciancio | Sustainability Coordinator

UAB Sustainability

UAB | The University of Alabama at Birmingham

P: 205.975.4038 | ncia...@uab.edu
M: 205.532.2120

** Please remember to change the subject header if you change topics **
---

Gilly, Quentin Carl

Jan 3, 2024, 2:46:28 PMJan 3
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lindsey,

Wattsup meters have an adapter for 240V. I also have Modlets from ThinkEco that have 240V adapters.

https://www.ebay.com/b/watts-up-meter/bn_7024726044

https://www.thinkecoinc.com/

I hope that helps.

Best,

Quentin

Quentin Gilly (he/him)
Interim Assistant Director,

FAS Sustainability and Energy Management

Harvard University, Office for Sustainability

Allen Doyle

Jan 3, 2024, 2:54:00 PMJan 3
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Note the WattsUp Pro was discontinued in 2017, and there are still some for sale.

--
            805 729 1581 (c)
            MS Chemical Oceanography; CEM; LEED AP

Nikola Winter

Jan 4, 2024, 4:37:53 AMJan 4
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lindsey, hi everyone,

we are measuring the energy consumption of our -70°C/-80°C and -150°CV ULT Freezers (also the very old ones, who luckily survived the unplugging) with such simple plug-in devices:

https://www.conrad.com/en/p/basetech-em-3000-energy-consumption-meter-energy-cost-calculator-1611632.html

For the big autoclaves, we used a Fluke 1735 Three-Phase Power Logger, which is no longer on sale.

Hope this is helpful for you overseas.

Best, Nikola

---

Dr. Nikola Winter
Technical Management
Max Perutz Labs
Vienna Biocenter (VBC)
Dr. Bohr-Gasse 9 / Room: 3.501
1030 Vienna, Austria
T: +43-1-4277-24065
E: nikola...@maxperutzlabs.ac.at

Climate@MaxPerutzLabs
https://www.maxperutzlabs.ac.at/about/sustainability

Barry Reid

Jan 4, 2024, 6:01:15 AMJan 4
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Hello all… (Happy New Year).

Just a quick reminder - the plug-in monitors tend to be more accurate than the over clamp/cable clamp monitors… these can vary quite wildly from 10-35% error/variance - which makes hardwired equipment much more difficult to test.

We also use FLIR cameras - to see how much energy is being lost through poorly insulated units (the glassware drying cabinets were a real eye opener - the worst we tested was 88.8KW/H/DAY - which is TEN times what a good ULT freezer will consume… so don’t forget the ‘elephant in the room’ that is your glassware dryers!

Best regards,

Barry.

Sent from my iPhone