Personnel Notification

Ciancio, Nicholas Preston

May 13, 2024, 9:59:35 AMMay 13
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I know that I don’t know all of you, but this is the most effective way for me to email everyone in the Green Labs Community at once. I apologize if I contribute to any email “bloat”.

I wanted to let you all know that I am leaving my position at UAB effective May 22nd. It really has been an honor and a privilege getting to work with everyone and getting to collaborate with those on this email chain. The work each of you do is inspiring and truly makes a difference; without each of your contribution’s my confidence in our ability to address the climate crisis would be severely diminished. On top of the phenomenal work you all do, I count myself lucky to call so many of you a friend.

Finally, I’d like to mention that although I’m taking a step out of green labs and academia, I don’t think it’ll be forever. This work has been exceptionally gratifying and I can’t imagine not returning to it. So, this isn’t a “goodbye”, but a “see you later”. J

For those of you wishing to reach out or schedule a meeting prior to the 22nd, please select ‘Reply’ rather than ‘Reply all’—again, I’d like to be considerate of everyone’s inbox. J

If you feel compelled to stay in touch, you can email me at ncian...@gmail.com.

Best of luck in all of your future endeavors!

Best Regards,

Nick Ciancio

Nick Ciancio | Sustainability Coordinator

UAB Sustainability

UAB | The University of Alabama at Birmingham

P: 205.975.4038 | ncia...@uab.edu
M: 205.532.2120

Allen Doyle

May 14, 2024, 5:33:01 AMMay 14
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Wow!  Huge news Nick!!
          First off, CONGRATULATIONS!  I hear you are going to a position that interests you and you will be closer to family.  What a huge win. I am happy for you.
          Your pioneering and patient work at UAB embodies the spirit and discipline of this Green Labs community, and sustainability in general. Always with an eye on the big picture, you tackled some thorny and big problems, and set out with long term studies and analysis to meet your stakeholders' needs, and you caught their attention. Your willingness to take a deep dive in a professional way has created institutional change, and industry change.
           Your analysis of autoclaves and using the term "jacketless" is a great example of rigor, planning, networking and finding resources, with a great package at the end. I hope this community, in our various nodes, can continue that work and take it to completion so that one sliver of procurement and energy use will make more sense in the future. As I walk through many lab buildings all over the country, I see dozens and dozens of hot, gurgling and rarely used autoclaves that are overdesigned and operated wastefully. Your work clarified the impact and alternative path to that, and using the term "jacketless" seems like a bit of language brilliance we all need to use to help our initiatives take root.
           Thanks, Nick; it's a pleasure to be on your team, and I look forward to hearing about your next chapter and staying in touch as your friend.
           We are all in this together, and you have exemplified that ethos.
           Allen

** Please remember to change the subject header if you change topics **
---

            805 729 1581 (c)
            MS Chemical Oceanography; CEM; LEED AP
In the future, people will bring grocery carts into the store from the parking lot.
            Keep Thinkin' UPstream!

Ciancio, Nicholas Preston

May 14, 2024, 1:38:10 PMMay 14
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Hi Allen,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I couldn’t have accomplished anything without the support of the Green Labs Community. When I say I have everyone in the Community to thank for my career, I truly mean everyone. I’m excited to see what everyone has in store for their future. The planet’s relying on all of your collective efforts to make research labs more sustainable! J

Best Regards,

Nick Ciancio

Nick Ciancio | Sustainability Coordinator

UAB Sustainability

UAB | The University of Alabama at Birmingham

P: 205.975.4038 | ncia...@uab.edu
M: 205.532.2120

Allen Doyle

May 15, 2024, 10:24:42 AMMay 15
to Nikola Winter, climat...@maxperutzlabs.ac.at, green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is the case, Nikola
         Old school, rapid cycling of 4-12 cycles per day in a hospital "sterilizer" (a.k.a. jacketed autoclave) was possible with water cooling and constant heating. Because we stopped using most sterilized glassware, pipettes, and petri dishes 30 years ago, most lab autoclaves are only used 3-5 times per week, so slow cycles are not a big deal.  This can save 80-90% of the energy and water used while the jacketed models are on standby--hot, and gurgling with coolant water. Jacketless models are cold when off, an amazing concept, yes???
         Good luck with promoting this new mindset, getting some PI's to back you up, then making sure procurement officers will double check the next time someone asks for a rapid cycle sterilizer. This is an essential communication step because procurement rarely questions research requests.  Jacketed autoclaves should be the exception, not the default selection.  Sustainability happens when we change the default.
         Cheers,
                 Allen

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 5:11 AM Nikola Winter <nikola...@maxperutzlabs.ac.at> wrote:

Thank you, Allen!

From these links I understand that the jacketless autoclaves do not have a mantle outside the chamber where steam (for heating) or water (for cooling) is applied to accelerate the heating and cooling phase.

Advantage: less water and energy usage

Disadvantage: heating and cooling (i.e. cycles) take longer

Best wishes,

Nikola

(p.s. I cc´d the mailing list again in case the links are interesting to others as well)