Community of Practice and ULTs

Star Scott

May 15, 2024, 4:14:32 PMMay 15
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com

Greetings All,

I recently posted this question on the I2SL Community of Practice. Before sharing the question, I just wanted to see if everyone is aware of the Community of Practice? It allows for community discussion and follow up, much like this listserv, but also allows us to retain and search the database by topic! Over time, we’ll collectively populate the database and have a precious shared resource for the Green Labs community. Please check it out if you haven’t already—it’s open to all and just takes 1 minute to create a free account. The goal is to move discussions like this one over to the Community of Practice, so everyone can benefit from the discussion and we’ll be able to easily reference/access it moving forward.

My question is this: Have any institutions successfully implemented a campus-wide ULT program for replacing all campus ULTs with high efficiency ULTs?

I'm researching two options:

  • Partnering with a vendor to replace older campus ULTs over a period of time, by directly purchasing the ULTs. For example, replacing 200 units annually over a period of 5 years.
  • Partnering with a vendor in a campus-wide lease agreement where the vendor would retain ownership of the units, provide backup units as needed, and replace units as they age.

Does anyone know of any institutions who have successfully implemented either option?

Thank you,

Star

Star Scott

Green Lab Program Manager she/her/hers

Facilities Management Division  |  University of Georgia

Chicopee No.1, 1180 E. Broad Street, Athens, GA 30602

Office: 706.542.7884  |  Fax: 706.542.7679

star...@uga.edu  | https://greenlab.uga.edu

I humbly acknowledge and honor the land and people of the Mvskoke/Muscogee Creek and Tsalaguwetiyi/Cherokee Nations on whose ancestral land University of Georgia is located, and I acknowledge and grieve for those enslaved people who were forcibly brought to these lands.

Barry Reid

May 15, 2024, 4:30:28 PMMay 15
to green-lab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Star et al,

Be very careful about greenwashing…. In the UK - we discovered a MAJOR manufacturer had been testing their ULT’s at 23oC ambient - but hadn’t told anyone that they were using a massive fan to blow convection currents at it to get a very low KWH/day figure….

And also be wary - some manufacturers have only tested ONE size unit of drying cabinet - and then just extrapolated to the other sizes…

I have some independent data if anyone wants it… just be aware that it’s from a UK 240V power supply - not a 120V US supply…

Warm regards,

B.

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 May 2024, at 21:14, 'Star Scott' via Green Labs Planning <green-lab...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

** Please remember to change the subject header if you change topics **
---