Let's join hands on Eliminating Soil-erosion due to Floods in Assam

Ankit Das

May 27, 2021, 2:20:23 AM5/27/21
to vivekananda...@gmail.com, Jeevan Shiksha, banjaraa [network], ass...@banjaraa.org, Manoshi Dehingia, Priyansha Shankar
Hi,

In the past few months, we have planted approximately 2000 'kanchan' trees on both sides of Majuli, on the banks of Brahmaputra as well as Subansiri river. Ofcourse they aren't enough but it allows us to test a theory - which is a native tree being able to protect the soil under its grip due to fast growing tiny roots spreading around and binding the soil. The good thing is that many of those stems have already got leaves, and the rains have also begin this time - so we will see after this year's flooding, what survives and what does not.

What we have seen so far with the government, it isn't really interested in any natural solutions and is only doing what costs much higher and has no guarantees as such. For more details on what's going on, you can read a relatively older article as well: https://sandrp.in/tag/riverbank-erosion-in-assam/

We started plantation on a limited scale due to two reasons primarily, one due to budget constraints, another to first pilot at a smaller scale - however it has its pros and cons both. The costs of raising more stems (using which we grow kanchan) has been higher, but now we have started building a local nursery as well. If we are able to prove our theory well, we would need tremendous support from the people inside and living outside of Assam to build this as a "movement" of the people.

Sharing a few picture of the work so far (through Vivekananda Foundation):

IMG_20210323_125417_011.jpgIMG_20210320_204955_348.jpgIMG_20210320_204955_341.jpgIMG_20210320_204955_291.jpgIMG_20210320_204955_240.jpg

I am looking for possible collaborations between those who have knowledge, funds, connections and everything else in between. Will be creating a 'group' to keep communicating and take this work ahead.

Please feel free to write to me here or on whatsapp on below details.

---
ankit das (linkedin | profile)
founder, sevak
banjaraa & Jeevan Shiksha

facebook twitter instagram tumblr
₺: 8308436733 (whatsapp/signal)
I am always actively looking to connect with passionate and compassionate individuals who look beyond money and individualism and willing to dive into the sea of uncertainty.