Linux Users keep keepin' on...

Mike Putnam

Oct 21, 2014, 8:34:02 PM10/21/14
to green-bay-lin...@googlegroups.com
LUG! Are you there? Will you meet? If you want some remote meeting help let me know. Perhaps we can coordinate monthly meetups via Google Hangouts?

Mike Putnam
-Friend of Wisconsin Linux User Groups

Steve L

Oct 25, 2014, 1:08:54 AM10/25/14
to green-bay-lin...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
There are 12 people on this list.  It hasn't exactly taken off like I hoped.  I blame the Packers for preoccupying everyones time.

Presently I am working on trying to launch a mesh network with a local ham club.  Sooner or later people will get sick of clicking "like" and want to get to the command line and learn the nuts of bolts?

Steve

Jeremy Baumgartner

Oct 26, 2014, 12:09:46 PM10/26/14
to green-bay-lin...@googlegroups.com

We have a group in the valley also working on mesh stuff.  We should talk and exchange notes.

--
Jeremy Baumgartner

KC9WLB

:(){ :|:& };:

Michael Moran

Oct 26, 2014, 1:30:55 PM10/26/14
to green-bay-lin...@googlegroups.com

I'm pretty interested in the idea of a mesh network(Although I'm up in Suamico so probably too far out).  I had done some research about 5 years ago in Appleton.  Can you point me in the direction to any information online?

-Mike

On Oct 25, 2014 12:08 AM, "Steve L" <kb9...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mike Putnam

Nov 11, 2014, 7:28:20 PM11/11/14
to green-bay-lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

We will be convening at 7pm Central to briefly discuss recent Linux news.

I think this url will allow you to join the Google Hangout:  https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cena058k6tfatl0gppbsqfs72s4?authkey=COP_r47-zI_L9AE

Join us on IRC too:  Freenode network in #wilug channel.  (or http://webchat.freenode.net/ )

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Jeremy Baumgartner <baum...@gmail.com> wrote:
Slick.  We have been meeting on Tuesday mornings, but also discussing some online meetings and such.  We haven't put much thought into what the mesh would look like on a large scale, but we do have a demo with EC Resources to discuss the uses/benefits of the mesh for ARES/RACES.  If they like it, they might help us get some equipment to start getting some wide area coverage.  I'll have to find the group info, I think they started with a Yahoo groups page or something.

--
Jeremy Baumgartner

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then." - John Woods

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Steve L <kb9...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jeremy that would be a good idea.  I wasn't aware there was anything going on in the valley.

We have a 180 degree 2.4 GHz sector antenna on Scray's hill presently , that should cover most of Green Bay (minus trees and other obstacles). Anything beyond that, we are still in a planning stage.

And Michael, again we are much in the infant stages, it will be OLSR based.   There is a ham radio specific build called broadband hamnet, but we are exploring a bunch mesh technologies to find one that will fit us best.  Seems 2.4 GHz is pretty crowded so something that can support the extended atheros channels would be desirable.

Steve, KB9MWR

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:34:02 PM UTC-5, Mike Putnam wrote:
LUG! Are you there? Will you meet? If you want some remote meeting help let me know. Perhaps we can coordinate monthly meetups via Google Hangouts?

Mike Putnam
-Friend of Wisconsin Linux User Groups

Mike Putnam

Nov 11, 2014, 7:56:15 PM11/11/14